Author Topic: broad beans  (Read 2377 times)

ACE

• Hectare
broad beans
« on: November 30, 2018, 11:31:44 »
Mine have gone mad, I had to tip them out today. Took the tops home for cooking as I have read some of you do it. Will not bother again, what is the point of eating something with no taste. Nearly as bad as drinking water.

nodig

• Half Acre
Re: broad beans
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 14:34:22 »
I drunk water once, it's definitely overrated.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 23:24:10 »
I feel I have to say a word in defence of water.

I think you two are mistaken. It just has to be properly processed before you drink it.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 09:34:27 »
It just has to be properly processed before you drink it.
Like mixing it with whiskey?
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 11:57:11 »
Aaargh
It just has to be properly processed before you drink it.
Like mixing it with whiskey?

Oh dear, there should be an RSPCW.

Cheers.

PS. I just clocked the spelling - so we need an RSPCIW too - but the rest can look after themselves.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 12:00:41 by Vinlander »
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 12:30:49 »
Excuse my ignorance what is  RSPCIW ?

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 23:10:46 »
Excuse my ignorance what is  RSPCIW ?

I'm baffled too. Cruelty to Whiskey I got.

Anyhoo I was thinking more along the lines of processes involving malt and hops. Beer with Whiskey. Isn't that called a dog's nose. Or maybe that's beer and gin? What the Americans call a boilermaker. Or is that only true with bourbon?  I think I'll stop now.

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 07:39:43 »
Tee Gee,

Vinlander is just being a tease, and it took a while for me to see his point. If I have it correctly, the Scots make Whisky, spelled without an e but the Irish make Whiskey spelled with an e.

So, to be precise, it is cruelty to Whisky, or cruelty to Irish Whiskey.

He is clearly a man who knows his subject!!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:42:40 by Beersmith »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 17:44:16 »
I drink my whiskey or whisky neat but a lot of folks favour mixing it with a little bit of water.  Some say it brings out the flavour and the idea is backed by science!

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/aug/17/whisky-and-water-galore-scientists-conclude-dilution-enhances-flavour

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 19:53:20 »
I'm surprised that the mods are letting this run in edible plants but I suppose the drink is mainly plant based. Now just to add my remarks on whisky based on 50 years of research, Jamesons with water, Malt straight with a cigar, cooking (teachers, bells, grouse etc) with irn bru  American bourbon best left in the bottle.  Broad beans with everything.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 11:52:16 »
I drink my whiskey or whisky neat but a lot of folks favour mixing it with a little bit of water.  Some say it brings out the flavour and the idea is backed by science!

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/aug/17/whisky-and-water-galore-scientists-conclude-dilution-enhances-flavour

If the moderator is near the limit of tolerance I promise I won't take it any further after this...

Adding literally one drop of water to a double measure of cask strength malt brings out A flavour - but not the same one you get from sipping neat, and one that I personally don't like as much**.

Adding 2 drops just weakens the new flavour.

Malts at a mere 40% have been tailored by experts using several casks - I would venture to say they are trying to offset the damage caused by dilution.

Sometimes they succeed -  for example standard Clynelish 40% is excellent, but I've never found a cask strength Clynelish I'd put in my top 5 (with or without a drop of water, but ** again). Brora was nearby - as near as dammit next door but I've never found a good 40% one - that's largely because it closed in '83 so prices went through the roof and I can't afford to test any more.

I've always been too busy doing interesting things to bother making money, but I do miss the Brora casks... I preferred the ones that were made for blending not drinking neat, but unfortunately so does everyone else who's got more money than me.

Cheers!

** I can't afford to buy cask malts untested and I buy them based on sipping - so it's no surprise I've never been impressed by their "watered alternative" flavours.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 08:23:05 »
Back to broadies, I have noticed a few flowers coming out on the plants, what should I do? Rub them out, leave them, I might transplant a couple into pots and put them in the poly.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 08:54:11 »
I always assumed the frost would take care of any early flowers  but mine have never got that advanced at this stage of the year.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 10:06:19 »
First time for me this early. Looking at the weather maps yesterday we were 4 or 5 degrees up compared to over the water. I shall leave them as the frost should nip them in the bud so to say. Decided against repotting in the poly as there are no pollenators likely to be around soon.
f

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal