Author Topic: brainstorming for pest control  (Read 3040 times)

rhock

brainstorming for pest control
« on: November 30, 2018, 02:35:47 »
Hello, my name is Rudolph Hock and I think I might qualify as an amateur, which is why I'm here.

I'm looking for inspiration for a game I would like to make myself, my first. At the moment I would like to frame it around the idea of keeping pests out of the garden to protect the vegetables that are to be included in a competition.

Something simple and fun, and I was hoping to talk with folk that have some funny stories they wouldn't mind sharing about what goes on in an allotment, or gardening in general.

So if anybody has some funny stories please let me know, it's all brainstorming right now..

rhock

Re: brainstorming for pest control
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 01:57:31 »
If anybody has ever grown Purple Sprouting Broccoli could you please let me know which nautical reference works best for it? I read that it doesn't need too much water, which for summer produce is odd to me, but the sun must play an important role.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 07:30:18 »
Here in the UK purple sprouting is normally a late spring / early summer crop so usually plenty of water!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 10:31:16 »
Add to that; all Brassicas do better in a sunny spot.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 16:21:14 »
Watering aside, you need to look at companion planting and using flowering plants such as nasturtiums to attract aphids away from crops or interplanting with leeks/onions/garlic so their strong smell confuses pests and also using plants such as marigolds to deter white fly.  Loads of info if you google well.
Obxx - Vendée France

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 21:29:10 »
small butler sink sank into the ground filled with water makes a great place for frogs fantastic slug eating machines small piece of black membrane placed in a sunny spot sloworms love it  on the sloworm front when my daughter was 3 years old she use to pick them up and say come snakey lets go for a walk and put it under her arm and show it around the plot then put it back where she found it/them now shes 12 and wont go anywhere near them 
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

rhock

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 19:32:50 »
Looking for vegetables for the summer I netted it, but if it's early summer (i.e. >June 1st) then I'll take it. Good to know about the amount of water it needs, but I had it listed as not needing too much water, and that caterpillars attack it.

I understand Garlic to be a year round vegetable, and had read about tall Artichokes growing high, but not the use of Marigolds to deter pests, thanks for that one. I have Spring Onions to plant, will they work as a deterrent?

And interesting story johhnyco15 about your daughter, which I can't quite fit into my game, but I like the idea of frogs being introduced to handle the slugs, do they do that at night, or all day? Also, do they go after snails as well, or just slugs, which probably go down easier?

I am also looking into Radishes, does anybody have any experience with those please, I read they're quite hardy.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 20:07:19 »
I am also looking into Radishes, does anybody have any experience with those please, I read they're quite hardy.
Root vegetables are generally sown in summer to mature into autumn, possible to store into winter. Radishes grow quickly, maturing in a few weeks, generally sown in succession and some varieties are sown to stand into late autumn.All require fertile soils, good light and damp rather than wet soil conditions. Where is your plot?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 21:24:08 »
Looking for vegetables for the summer I netted it, but if it's early summer (i.e. >June 1st) then I'll take it. Good to know about the amount of water it needs, but I had it listed as not needing too much water, and that caterpillars attack it.

I understand Garlic to be a year round vegetable, and had read about tall Artichokes growing high, but not the use of Marigolds to deter pests, thanks for that one. I have Spring Onions to plant, will they work as a deterrent?

And interesting story johhnyco15 about your daughter, which I can't quite fit into my game, but I like the idea of frogs being introduced to handle the slugs, do they do that at night, or all day? Also, do they go after snails as well, or just slugs, which probably go down easier?

frogs hunt by night slugs snails and worms are all on the menu
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

rhock

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 00:19:13 »
ancellsfarmer: Hi, thanks for the information, I am actually making a computer game and wanted it to be authentic. While it's not a simulator, getting the seasons right for the produce I have was important to me, presently I have:

SUMMER

Radish
Purple Sprouting Broccoli
Spring Onions
Globe Artichoke

Gooseberries
Apricots
Melon

I know it sounds odd as most grow vegetables here in real life, but for me its digital life. All of the mentioned are harvest dates, so they would be visible once the game rotates to that season, any suggestions welcome !

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 10:13:20 »
https://www.lovethegarden.com/advice/gardening/grow-your-own/vegetable-planner-guide-sowing-harvesting-vegetables

With harvest dates there are differences across the country, a balmy spot on the Isle of Wight will be harvesting much earlier than a windy site on a hill in the North, but here are some guidelines.  And sprouting broccoli is not a summer harvesting plant.   :drunken_smilie:  :wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 10:17:25 »
A veg like radishes can be sown for many months as it matures very quickly, ditto salads, but others take the best part of the year growing time.  This also matters for follow on crops.  There is time for a second crop after early potatoes, early peas or after garlic, but French beans for example or Runner beans go until frost kills them.  No follow on crops.  :wave: 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 10:27:39 »
There is a wiki with a good calendar on this page that should also give you a goldmine of info for your project.  :wave:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 15:42:18 »
This is what you need - http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/index.htm 

What to sow and when and harvesting too but, as Galina says, times for both activities will vary across the country north to south and east to west as well as those at altitude, in rain shadows etc.  An then you have to factor in soil types as well.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 15:55:05 »
times for both activities will vary across the country north to south and east to west as well as those at altitude,

I tried to cater for this problem as you can see here:

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/F/Frost%20zones/Frost%20Zones.htm

Click on the map to enlarge it!

rhock

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 01:15:52 »
Hello people, I just wanted to check back now as I've been busy learning how to draw pixelart, and have made a tree (which was really hard for me). I would like to hear your thoughts, there are three versions here: Autumn / Winter / Spring.

Please let me know what you think !

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 07:49:01 »
Well done, having been told that my loquat will not bear fruit it was interesting to hear on GQT that there is a possibility if there are more summers like last one.

rhock

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 13:38:05 »
Interesting that you grow loquat, do you have a good harvest?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal