Author Topic: Getting bitten  (Read 2960 times)

OldBob

• Not So New ...
Getting bitten
« on: November 29, 2018, 22:36:05 »
I seem to get bitten when working near the rear of my lottie, mostly mozzie bites at dusk, but once by a horsefly, so in summer avoided working there then. It is overshadowed by a tall Leylandii or similar. This last week or so, just when I thought it was safe to go back, started to sort out the stuff behind my shed, sited under the overhang from the tree. Bitten again, mozzie hites on my calves and thighs. they must have flown up my trouser legs and one horsefly bite just above my belt line. Can't work out how it managed it, tight belt,  t-shirt tucked under jeans, jumper over jeans and jacket over that. I thought the biting things would be dormant by now, obviously not. considering safety precautions. (bike clips, DEET, citronella candles) Any further tips gratefully received.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Getting bitten
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 23:14:18 »
Could it be ants?

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 23:15:06 »
See if you can get sticky traps (pest control will have them) and see if you can catch a few

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 06:46:38 »
Are you sure it is happening at the allotment?  And not during the night when you are in bed with insects  coming in through the open window. But we only discover the bites during the following day .

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 07:58:21 »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trombiculosis

I get what I think are chigger bites in the summer, though  not usually at this time of year.  They don't start to itch until the next day usually.
Ant bites hurt at the time.

OldBob

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 17:36:44 »
I know what is biting, though in the case of the latest horsefly I don't know how it got there. Went down today, rubber bands round ankles, cuffs tightly fastened and ok so far. It was more if anyone had any tips for persuading them to move on, or least not to bite me.
Been bitten by ants in the past, as pumpkinlover says you quite definitely feel them at the time. Thanks for the input though.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 18:00:42 »
lemon shower gel works and i keep some in the shed and wash my hands in before i start  seems to work here on the sunshine coast
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 18:10:22 »
Insect repellent spray and an anti-histamine for me before I work in our veggie plot.  Cortisone cream in my pocket.

There are barns and paddocks full of beef cattle just behind and our other neighbour has 3 horses.  Loads of horse flies!  Occasional mozzies and other invisible biting things too and some or all of them seem to be hungry nearly all year.   
Obxx - Vendée France

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 23:17:39 »
Reluctant as I am to add to your worries, you probably also get stable flies. Smaller than horse flies, more like house fly in size, nasty bite and very persistent when hungry. There's a lot of nasty little critters out there!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 00:24:44 »
Those too - and the perishers fly in th ehouse too and leave drops of digested blood all over windowframes and surfaces.  Bloody irritating, literally.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal