Author Topic: End of an Era  (Read 4001 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
End of an Era
« on: November 26, 2018, 15:30:07 »
This morning I went down to my allotment possibly for the last time.

I had very little to do, basically all I went down to do is pick up a few bits and bobs that I wanted to fetch home.

As I had my mobile phone with me I thought I would take a few photos as I walked around the plot and thought you might to join me as I walked around:

Pic 1

This is the road I have trekked for nearly thirty years, and where I have pushed countless barrows of manure up and lots of fruit and veg down.

Pic 2

This was the first plot I tended (Plot 6) , I took it on board officially on 13th December 1990  but I actually took access in Spring 1989, this was due to  the poor state it was in,and the Council kindly allowed me to use it 'rent free' for the first year.

A couple of years laterPlot 7 become available so I took on and worked both plots.

On January 25th 1994 I gave up Plot 7 as I got the chance to take over Plot 20 which have cared for ever since.

Between then and now I have also been the tenant on  Plot 21 which I took on in 25th February 2002 in place of Plot 6. This meant I had two plots adjacent to each other rather than one on either side of the track.

I kept Plot 21 on until January 2014 then I swapped it with the couple who tended Plot 19 which was a "half plot"

This was brought about because I wanted to cut down a bit and they wanted a full plot, this arrangement was fine by me because it still meant that I had two plots that were adjacent to each other.

I gave Plot 19 up at the end of 2016 and have only worked one plot since.

So much for the Plot History!

As I was in a bit of a nostalgic mood I thought I would take a walk around the plot for possibly the last time ( perhaps you might want to join me)

Pic 3

This what I saw as I entered the 28ft x 8ft Greenhouse which is actually a 16ft  extension to the original 12ft greenhouse as seen in Pics 4 & 5.

Pic 4

The middle section

Pic5

The end section

The end area was becoming a bit dilapidated so I converted it into a garden shed. The tools you see are a few I am leaving for the next tenant.

I also removed all the glass from the roof because the timbers were rotting in places and replaced it with a poly tunnel skin.

The skin is much lighter in weight meaning the timbers supported this better than the glass.  This also made things much safer as glass often dropped out prior to the conversion.

Pic 6

This is my 12ft x 8ft Aluminium greenhouse part prepared for next years crops.

The next few photos are views from opposite corners of my plot;

Pic 7

Looking across the plot

As you can see I have left my bean frame in place although it is movable to fit in with crop rotation.

Pic 8

I have even given the hedge that I planted a few years ago to keep the tenants of those houses out, a bit of a trim!

Pic 9

Looking up my plot from the opposite corner so that you can see the plot layout including the two greenhouses and fruit bed.

The steel structure is the frame of a "car port" like structure I built to enclose my Dahlias during my exhibiting days!

It now acts as a support for my Apple trees and Raspberry bushes"

Pic 10

The Coldframe....The removable lids are stacked away for the winter you can see then leaning against the big greenhouse wall in the previous picture.

Pic 11

Looking across the Fruit bed!

Pic 12

I have left my 'Planting Layouts' for the last five or six years so that the new tenants can see what has been grown where and this should help them out out with their 'Rotation Plan' assuming they know what this is!

.....and that folks the end of the tour for you and probably the end of the era for me!

I guess I will miss the old place for a while but as they say:

As one Door closes another Opens

I have quite a few plans in mind that should fill my time but only " Time will Tell"

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 16:08:19 by Tee Gee »

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: End of an Era
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 15:51:41 »
I am sure there were a few tears near the surface when leaving

Whoever gets to take on the plots are very lucky to have a perfect setup and good start to the growing season.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to fill your free time with now and I hope you will still be an active member on A4A passing on all that knowledge you have now .
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 16:11:08 »
A lovely tour of your old allotment Tee Gee, thanks for that - someone is going to be very lucky to take over such a well tended plot.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 17:04:08 »
Sad with you as well, but you have left everything immaculate and the next tenant is indeed lucky.  Thanks for sharing.  :wave:

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 18:47:38 »
Looks good Tee Gee how I wish my plot was looking as good as this when I took it over ( it was full of brambles, nettles and dock leaves) I do hope you will still be an active member of A4All as I always read and take notes from your posts I have your planting calendar on my laptop and always refer to it..Many thanks for all your past advice and plot photos. Hope you enjoy your rest, but looking at your garden you will have plenty to do   
Barnsley S Yorks

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 18:57:54 »
Don't think I'd like to take over any of your plots, TeeGee- too hard an act to follow! Good luck with the next chapter!

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 19:17:22 »
All the best! 

Dr John

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 19:29:53 »
Someone is going to be very lucky to take over a plot that needs no work doing to it for a while.   I just hope they keep it in the pristine condition it is at the moment.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 20:19:42 »
Really beautiful, and sad at the same time, to walk round your plot with you.  Quite moving!  Thank you Tee Gee, and please keep posting.

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 20:51:36 »
Please keep posting and I hope the next tenant realises how lucky they are!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 22:12:46 »
You've left it in amazingly good state Tee Gee.  I hope your successors look after it well and get lots of pleasure and produce from it.

Good luck with your new ventures in your garden.  At least you'll have less far to push muck and carry home the harvests.

Obxx - Vendée France

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 07:58:45 »
A very moving post!
Please don't be a stranger TeeGee, your posts are always interesting, informative, well written and easy to read, often with a recent and relevant photo.
All the very best to you on your next phase!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 08:55:51 »
Hi Ya, good luck for the future mate and stay in touch. I am jealous of the next person taking it over I wish it were me. My plot is looking a bit sad and neglected after health problems. If I were to take your plot on I would keep in touch and ask your help now and then to keep your hand in while you find your way. Enjoy your retirement as I retire next year and the plot is going to be my interest and keep me sane.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 13:38:50 »
Hi TeeGee , What a kind soul you are to have left it all in such good order . I wish you all the very,very best !
  Can you please give us the link to your new website ?
Trespassers will be composted !

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 14:43:11 »
Can you please give us the link to your new website ?

It is at the foot of all my postings

http://thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/

This is the existing website the new one will still be at the same address, all I am going to do to it is to make it more user friendly i.e. make it more responsive to mobile phone and tablet users.(It is only partially responsive at the moment)

Plus I will look through all the data and see if any of it is in needs of a bit of clarification, plus I might add more photos and slideshows etc.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 21:56:33 »
Thanks, Tee Gee, I hope all works well.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 23:01:12 »
well certainly the end of an era :) take care

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal