Author Topic: Do you know this bean?  (Read 2642 times)

penedesenca

• Half Acre
Do you know this bean?
« on: November 17, 2018, 18:56:20 »
It might be a bit of a long shot but I came across this bean pic and it relates to one of the circles between 2010-2016 but I am stuffed if I can find his name. I would love it if someone could let me know it's proper name.

Please, pretty please   :angel11:

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Do you know this bean?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 22:00:58 »
is it Ying Yang bean?

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 22:03:58 »
http://www.zursunbeans.com/beans/
Calypso
Also known as Yin/Yang bean, Calypso, is a dramatic black and white heirloom with a distinct potato flavor and smooth, creamy texture. Enjoy in soup or side dish garnished with crisp bacon, sour cream and salsa - like baked potato with a twist!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 08:08:46 »
Possibly Georgian #2 from 2012 seed circle.  :wave:

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 08:09:52 »
is it Ying Yang bean?

Thank you. I have grown ying yang for ages and can comfortably say that isn't it. Ying yang is a fat round bean and the markings go in a diagonal. A very nice bean

I suspect the bean in the pic is a cattle bean and the markings are possibly down to the strain. Hopefully someone from the circles might remember.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 08:15:26 »
I was thinking Trout aka Jacobs Cattle at first, but that has never been exchanged in the seed circle as far as I remember.  Where did you find the picture ? :wave:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 08:17:13 by galina »

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 08:16:09 »
Possibly Georgian #2 from 2012 seed circle.  :wave:

He He. Thank you Galina.  :happy7:

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 08:40:15 »
I was thinking Trout aka Jacobs Cattle at first, but that has never been exchanged in the seed circle as far as I remember.  Where did you find the picture ? :wave:

It is is parcel share out photo on the general page of seed circles of the seed saver site http://seedsaverscircle.org/seed-circle/ not sure how I missed it but the pic is for the 2010 share out. Jacob's Cattle was in there but it is not it as there is a photo on the 2010 page http://seedsaverscircle.org/seed-circle/seed-parcel-2010-2/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 11:05:24 »
Ahh, I see what has happened.  I forgot that we did have Trout from Ruud in 2010.   Jayb must have added a generic photo of the same bean for the seed circle catalogue. 

This is one of those beans that can change its colouring, especially how much red it has compared to white, depending on climate.  It makes absolute sense that the Dutch grown Trout bean has much less red than shown in a photo that could have been from USA (where this bean is very popular).  My UK grown ones were very much more like the seeds from Ruud in the plastic packet, which are in your photo at the top of the page.

I think that clinches it.  It is Trout/Jacob's Cattle.   :sunny:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:17:23 by galina »

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 23:12:43 »
I think the unidentified bean is Cannellino Rosso which might be related to Jacob's Cattle. Here is my saved seed from Russell Crow seed. It has more white than Jacob's Cattle but is a similar size and shape.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 08:21:04 »
Not so likely Jan, because of the bean pathways and origins.  HSL has had Trout in its catalogue for decades and it has been grown and shared widely because of it.  Russell Crow has only relatively recently restarted selling beans and with difficulties obtaining his beans, they have not penetrated into the UK to the same extent.  The first time that anybody offers beans from Russ is actually you.  We had some from Baker Creek in the past. 

And there is no doubt that Ruud did give the circle the Trout aka Jacobs Cattle bean in the same year which shows the circle shareout in the photo.  The 2010 shareout catalogue definitely includes the name.  :wave:

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 09:47:41 »
Not so likely Jan, because of the bean pathways and origins.  HSL has had Trout in its catalogue for decades and it has been grown and shared widely because of it.  Russell Crow has only relatively recently restarted selling beans and with difficulties obtaining his beans, they have not penetrated into the UK to the same extent.  The first time that anybody offers beans from Russ is actually you.  We had some from Baker Creek in the past. 

And there is no doubt that Ruud did give the circle the Trout aka Jacobs Cattle bean in the same year which shows the circle shareout in the photo.  The 2010 shareout catalogue definitely includes the name.  :wave:
Thanks Galina for filling out the history of both the circle and Russ Crow's activities. I had considerable ignorance of both! - and was going by what seemed to be a strong similarity in appearance. Perhaps way way back there is some sharing of a pathway but, as you clarify so well, the present relevant identification is now clear, even to me!!

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 16:40:49 »
That is jacobs cattle,i put him in the seed circle.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 22:47:23 »
Just reading this and to confirm, Galina is right. Ruud added Jacobs Cattle bean to the circle and I added the picture of some Jacobs Cattle bean seeds I had, I think they were from Bakers Creek. Surprisingly different growing conditions can indeed make quite an impact on some bean seed colour.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal