Author Topic: Wellies  (Read 2257 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Wellies
« on: November 17, 2018, 17:19:13 »
I know we've had this discussion before but not for a few years. Can anyone recommend some comfortable wellies that don't cost a fortune? Having moved further north and about to get a dog, I definitely need some! The only pair I own were fine for pottering around the allotment but very uncomfortable for walking any distance.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Wellies
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 17:57:44 »
i got given a pair of dunlop insluted wellies  very good however very expensive maybe a stout pair of walking boots may be a better way to go got mine from aldi around £15  waterproof and two seasons in still comfey :sunny: :sunny: not that we get much wet and cold here on the sunshine coast  :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 20:15:51 »
Hi Thanks for your reply. I've got walking boots but looking for something for walking in long grass and easier to clean! :happy7:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 21:57:14 »
Dubarry, but you will have to walk everywhere, as you will have no money left for the bus. Xmas is coming so big hints needed.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 09:26:19 »
My current preference:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-trench-safety-wellingtons-black-size-10/39395#_=p
Other sizes are available, featuring good grips, steel insole and toe cap, safetyboot= NO VAT!

Also now found these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dunlop-safety-footwear-devon-h142211-safety-wellingtons-yellow-size-7/81410

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 09:30:47 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 09:01:52 »
Those certainly look good value!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 14:01:17 »
have a look on MandM direct and sports direct they have some good deals on wellies
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 14:20:59 »
I would say you are better off with waterproof boots - as a cheapskate I go for Toolstation chukka boots at £13.98 vat free.

They are NOT comfortable as sold, (for me - especially as I need a half size they don't have) and the fit is only as good as a wellie, so you need very good thick socks but MY GOD are they easier to get on and off... and what's more they go on and come off when you want them to - wellies always want to do the opposite for me.

In my experience they are completely waterproof to halfway up the lacing - and I have no intention of going deeper. I'm quite happy to keep a pair of wellies in the shed for when my raised beds look like a miniature Venice.

Winter on the plot is so much more comfortable now - the thick woolly socks weren't cheap but less than going for the next boot up, and they don't wear out as fast as wellies do.

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 15:18:03 »
I find wellies don't support my feet and ankles enough for country lane and field walks.  Fine for taking them to the beach or for gardening but not for walkies on uneven and/or stoney terrain.

I have dug out some old fell boots - leather and lots of laces - which I've fed with Dubbin and they are brilliant.  They come up above my ankles.   I don't wade in puddles in them but we do go through long wet grass sometimes and muddy lanes.  No leaks so far.

Similar models now exist in trainer-type materials so would be lighter but the cheap pair I bought lost a couple of their lace "hooks" at the first sign of tension so I keep those for gardening now.
Obxx - Vendée France

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 08:25:33 »
Thanks for ll the input. In the end I've gone for some Dunlop "Blizzard" wellies https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/dunlop-blizzard-winter-boot-welly-p215457

As with so many shoes/boots (for me, anyway) they are not as comfortable as they felt in the shop, but they are ok. I think maybe I should have gone down a size rather than up (I'm a half size) but with thick socks they are ok. They have a lovely warm lining and at the price they are good. I think I may also invest in some waterproof boots as I really need more support around the ankles than wellies give, but these will do for really wet weather and long grass.

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 10:57:26 »
  I find wellies uncomfortable for walking distances so have a pair of walking boots  I don't very often go in tall grasses  but if I need  water  proofing I wear waterproof trousers ( I,am a biker )  which I did find difficult to get on and off  so I stitched the elastic each side of the seems and unpicked the seams and sewed Velcro each side now I can do like the full monty and just rip them off

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 12:13:58 »
You are all going to kick yourselves with your new wellies when you see what is on offer this sunday at Aldi  https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-ladies%27-winter-boots/p/085978237537700#

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 13:36:42 »
I bought some similar to those online a few years ago but sent them back because the front part was too rigid. I hate buying footwear!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 16:10:46 »
I need some new Aldi ones, they are lovely and warm, I left last years in the shed to use when it was wet at the lottie. The robins nested in them first, now they are home to some mice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal