Author Topic: carrots  (Read 1665 times)

ACE

• Hectare
carrots
« on: November 13, 2018, 14:37:33 »
In a rush to get something growing on my new plot I planted some early carrots from a cheap packet of seed. I did not think Autumn Giant would do quickly enough although I do like them. 10 weeks later and they are ready to eat as baby carrots. I was very disappointed with the taste, but today  I had some that were picked and then I forgot, left them behind at the allotment. Took the tops off today and steamed as usual, they were lovely and tasty.

Do you think the taste develops after leaving for a couple of days? instead of being cooked within an hour of picking.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: carrots
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 17:17:40 »
Old allotmenteers always used to say that parsnips and Brussels tasted better after being frosted. Now scientists have confirmed it. Some plants, especially root crops, actually produce sugary compounds to protect themselves from frost damage improving the flavour. Perhaps they got frosted?

Anyway it is always nice to get something to crop out of season, and baby carrots in November sounds good to me.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 23:11:34 »
Do you think the taste develops after leaving for a couple of days? instead of being cooked within an hour of picking.

Indeed I do!  Discovered by accident and now I wash them and leave them at room temp for two or three days before eating or putting in the fridge.

According to James Wong in his book 'How to Eat Better' if you grate carrots and then wait two hours or more the nutrient levels are higher - probably because of being 'under attack'.  There are many fruits and vegetables that have higher levels of nutrients if you leave them after picking.  I normally leave tomatoes too - I reckon the taste reaches a peak on most varieties after a couple of days.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 14:15:52 »
Old allotmenteers always used to say that parsnips and Brussels tasted better after being frosted. Now scientists have confirmed it. Some plants, especially root crops, actually produce sugary compounds to protect themselves from frost damage improving the flavour. Perhaps they got frosted?

Deviating slightly - apples get sweeter on the tree, but if they are trying to resist frost it can backfire - some apples produce so much sugar in an indian summer that they can go glassy inside - IINM "King of Tomkins County" is most famous for this.

Whenever I've encountered it there's been a slightly off 'pond' taste - I suspect that too much sugar can burst the cells inside and let disease in. The taste didn't bother me because I dislike apples anywhere near that level of sweetness - so they went straight into the compost (though it occurs to me that they could make an extremely alcoholic cider in the same way that Sauternes benefits from "noble rot" - which apparently also has overtones of  wet wood).

Ashmeads Kernel has produced 2 or 3 glassy apples in the last 30 years - but not recently - not since fresh Braeburns from NZ started arriving in April. Why would I risk storing them now - when their fresh flavour from the tree is incomparable? They all get eaten by October now.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal