Author Topic: Chillies  (Read 4835 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Chillies
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2005, 10:29:52 »
I've said it before but -

- don't forget chilli sherry!!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2005, 13:00:07 »
I germinate mine in my conservatory.  They are very slow to start, some have been in the compost for 6 weeks and are only just begining to poke through the soil!  I don't rush them, especially now I know I can overwinter them!  ;D

Patience and warmth seems to be the rule with chillies.

Glad you said this. Mine are in a heated propagator and sulking. I keep looking every morning but so far 2 weeks and nada. I hope that one type grow - they're the Purple Venezuelans from VidaVerde and are fantastic plants - all green and purple, with green and purple chillies until they go red. They are pea-sized and pea-shaped and the unripe ones turn totally pea-green when cooked. Flipping lethal when found in a curry and you think they're a pea... The bit I can't understand is why they're refusing to germinate with heat, whilst one seed somehow got into a plant pot overwinter and grew anyway...

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

osprey480

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2005, 15:40:49 »
I usually freeze mine straight from the plant when ripe-freeze them individually on a tray then put them in plastic bag. They freeze very well and chop up well straight from freezer to add to food. I also make chilli vinegar (great on chips)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2005, 00:15:36 »
success! two purple venezuelan and two hungarian wax were up when I got in today  ;D

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2005, 07:56:06 »
Flags out for youMoonbells, how long did they take then? I reckon ej's 6 weeks must be a record. I've had poppy seeds in for 3 weeks and no show .

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2005, 09:02:44 »
Northerner: a couple of weeks in a heated propagator. Another few PVs are up this morning which will cheer up my chillihead hubby.

Poppies took forever. I got some freebie perennial double orange ones with Amateur Gardening back in Jan or early Feb, and sowed them the same weekend.  Only one came up, I thought the lot was doomed, and then gradually a few more appeared so I've got about 15 now. Soooo tiny! They take ages to get to the point where you think they can be pricked out - I haven't done it yet as only the original plant is a decent size and if I rescue it, the others will be disturbed.

moonbells

Veggie Mad

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2005, 13:37:36 »
I planted mine 3 weeks ago, no sign of life yet.  I am going to cover them with cling film and see what happens.  I am growing my toms, chillies, peppers and okra in a cold greenhouse, only the tomatoes are showing sign of germination.  I get impatient very fast! :-\

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2005, 15:23:50 »
I also planted some 'capsicum' hot and spicy 3 weeks ago in my mini cold frame and still nothing thas despite spraying them with warm water and checking their progress daily. Reading the packet it may be that the temperature in my cold frame is fluctuating as it states that they must be kept at a constant 65F and mine drops to 45-50 on a night time.  ???

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2005, 16:33:41 »
I planted Capiscum Hot and Spicy on 25/03 in a covered, unheated tray and put on a warm (S/E facing) window above a radiator that's usually on v. low.  All eight germinated - all about one week after the tomatoes.

Hope yours come up soon.

Ellkebe

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2005, 18:04:43 »
Just have to note this unusual member of the Elk family. Cousins??

Sorry to interpose.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2005, 20:41:41 »
stuck mine on the boiler and about 1/2 germinated after 3 weeks, had to move them off the boiler then so the seedlings get some more light - maybe the rest will germinate mebbees not...

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2005, 21:07:24 »
Mines were sown on 2.4.05 in a propagator.  I then placed this on a heat mat (one I use for brewing).  I could swear they popped up after about a week.  They're now about an inch high with two big leaves at the top.  I'm frightened they go leggy so they get placed in the PVC greenhous during the day now.  Should I be pricking them out?  I've never grown chillies before...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2005, 22:25:30 »
I have now potted all of mine up into individual 3 inch pots and they are all on there 2 or 3 true leaves and looking healthy.    It is going to be a fight for space this year between the toms, chillies and aubergines as everything has germinated way above my expectations.  I sense my conservatory is going to be my greenhouse extension!

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2005, 10:54:14 »
VidaVerde - now realseeds (yep, just checked) have an unusual range of chillis - I have 2 varieties from them - "Lemon Drop" chilli is a strong lemon chilli, small but robust bush with dainty leaves, covered in little green chillies that ripen to bright yellow. Very very hot with a strong citrus flavour...... I can't find the other one in the current catalogue - Rocoto or locoto or something like that.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2005, 13:17:02 »
Just have to note this unusual member of the Elk family. Cousins??

Sorry to interpose.

Nothing very interesting  I'm afraid Tim.  I came up with it while trying to get a version of my name that someone else hadn't already snaffled up on hotmail!

Ellkebe

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2005, 15:23:12 »
Oh, well - it's an excuse to air my Arms!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal