Produce > Recipes

Unusual greens

(1/2) > >>

AnnieD:
A few weeks, ago, I had an empty bed and some free seeds. So I planted some rows, not expecting a lot.

I now have lovely rows of Spinach, Chinese Cabbage, Chinese Kale, and Bok Choi.

They all look lovely but I'm not sure what's the best way to cook them!

Ideas please you lovely lot.

galina:
Spinach steam lightly.  Maybe look at eggs Florentine for brunch. 
https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/eggsflorentine_88979

Chinese Cabbage I like best as a salad substitute.  It is robust enough for a main meal winter salad, tossed with hot ingredients, like boiled, sliced potatoes or hot baked beans.  Well cut up and reheated left overs of many kinds can be tossed into finely sliced, dressed Chinese Cabbage.  I halve the large leaves lengthwise, then slice across finely, toss with a dressing of your choice, then add heated whatever needs using up, toss again and serve immediately.  I also like it shredded with fresh tomatoes as a cold salad.  The large leaves are perfect for roll ups of all sorts.  And of course the classic stir fry benefits from a last minute addition of Chinese cabbage, a quick stir, soy sauce on top and serve.

Bok Choy is a bit more robust and best suited as a lightly cooked vegetable.  It can be halved lengthwise, steamed and served with sauce, somewhat reminiscent of asparagus with bechamel sauce.  It benefits from being cooked lightlly to keep some of the texture.  But it is also very good with any tomato sauces or indeed in a Bolognese with mince and tomatoes.  And again it is one of the classic stir fry veg.

:wave:

Bill Door:
well done you.  Spinach is best wilted for a few minutes,in a small amount of water, tablespoon to an egg cupful. Drain the water off, it will be more than you put in.  chop up the hot spinach and dribble over olive oil and eat.  You might find the spinach needs cooking for  longer(or shorter) for your taste.  The Kale you can cook the same way but for a bit longer.  I usually add a teaspoon of carraway seeds with the kale cold, to add a different taste.  For the cabbage and bok choi stir fry after slicing them into quarters.  Add your own stir fry sauce and "protein".
I don't add salt but suggest you add that to the water before adding the spinach if you really need it.

Enjoy
Bill

Plot 18:
I grow spinach for small leaves in salad and the larger ones for making Spanakopita.

The others I use in stir fries with a sauce or cook the same way as radicchio
http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/seared-radicchio-with-balsamic-and-parmesan.html?utm_source=foodnetwork.com&utm_medium=domestic

tricia:
I make crisps in the microwave with Cavolo Nero - the only kale I grow. Cut down along the rib, discard and cut the kale into crisp size pieces. Arrange in a single layer on a dinner plate, season with a sprinkling of salt (or spices) and microwave for about 4 to 5 minutes depending on m.w. wattage. They make a great snack!

Tricia :wave:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version