Author Topic: Still Harvesting  (Read 1574 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Still Harvesting
« on: October 29, 2018, 13:55:32 »
Decided to lift my Peppers this morning, it does not look like they are going to ripen on the allotment so harvested them and brought them home to give them some better protection from the cold. We had our first hard frost of the season this morning so I thought better safe than sorry.

While I was at it I picked a Cabbage (Tundra) Cauli (Cendis) Sprouts (Maximus) and Carrots (Autumn King)

Only 9 weeks left to get all my harvesting in, still lots of Leeks, Cauli, Calabrese & Sprouts to pick yet!

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Still Harvesting
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 14:58:44 »
Our year starts 1st of October, I lost some of my crops because I changed plots. I went and welcomed the new bloke that took over one of my plots today and he does not know a thing about gardening. So I told him to ask away, first question 'What is all this green stuff' told him it was curly kale and showed him how to crop it. Ended up with a load in my trug, the same with the sprouts. I can see I will have to help him with the purple sprouting when the time comes.   :sunny:

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 16:44:22 »
My peppers and toms have finished with the last of them in the freezer, made into pasta sauce and the squashes are curing in the spare bedroom.
I've still eating the last of the Minicole cabbage, not started on the Tundra yet and it is very hardy, so just cut it as I want it.
There's Brussels and kale, swede, leeks and the last few Calabrese sprouts to come as well.
Salad greens in the greenhouse border are still growing atm, so unless it turns really nasty I'll have salad to pick for a couple of months at least.

I always feel a bit smug when so many plots are empty at this time of year, when there's still quite a bit growing on mine *blush* Still haven't managed to fill the 'hungry gap' though - apart from using the last of the veg I've frozen :(

Must try harder!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 17:14:37 »
So I told him to ask away, first question

Been there! Done that! and got the Tee Shirt Ace. I don't know who they are going to put their questions to next year!

, not started on the Tundra yet and it is very hardy, so just cut it as I want it.

The only reason I started on the Tundra is because I am leaving the plot plus I fancied a bit of Cabbage for my dinner!

I always feel a bit smug when so many plots are empty at this time of year, when there's still quite a bit growing on mine

No need too! I have always said to them that when you can eat off your plot for most of the year then they have made the grade. Although I agree they usually look at me a bit enviously at me!  :angel11:

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 08:50:52 »
Well I feel good then. I started Feb 2017, and once I got going, and things started coming through, I bring something home every time I visit the allotment. All through last winter I had sprouts, purple sprouting, cabbage, leeks, parsnips. Then it was time for early broad beans and it all came round again. I love eating my own veg, so satisfying.
Located in Royston, North Herts.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal