Author Topic: New Greenhouse first season results.  (Read 2292 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
New Greenhouse first season results.
« on: October 26, 2018, 14:49:11 »
Some of you may remember my previous article on the greenhouse I moved up from my allotment to my back garden if not see here; https://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,81914.0.html

Generally I am quite happy with the results I had although the exceptionally hot summer we had threw up some peculiar events such as elongated tomato plants and the best of the crop appearing at the top of the plants rather than as I would expect at the lower regions of the plants.

My Peppers suffered this year as well; where I suffered excessive 'blossom end rot' and Spider Mites.

These are both things I never suffered from when the greenhouse was sitting on soil on the allotment rather than the paving flags it is on at home.

The blossom end rot I put down to the more than the usual amount of watering I had to carry out due to the very dry conditions and the low humidity experienced in the greenhouse. With the Spider mites; I put this down to these exceptionally dry conditions being ideal for them.

So this week I have taken steps to overcome these 'very dry conditions' next year by putting in artificial beds!

I have fixed a timber kerb to the floor and filled the space with wood chipping which I can get an unlimited supply off.

My hope is these will always remain damp and increase the humidity within the greenhouse, plus they will render down into a good humus making material by the end of the season when I will replace it with new and add the old to my compost!

Question? What are the odds of us getting a repeat of the conditions next year similar to that experienced this year? :BangHead:

I guess only time will tell!  But if we do I hope that my  handy work will give me better results than I got this year.

I have added a few photos of my handy work below;

picman

• Acre
Re: New Greenhouse first season results.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 12:54:25 »
Well 2018 was a challenge for gardeners. I started a new poly (10x5) this year on the plot and lost a stone in weight trying to keep it watered ( every cloud.... )  as its a poly I plant in the soil with just a small path. 1st year you expect to make mistakes... lettuce ... covered in greenfly ! . slugs ate Pac choi ... cucumbers .. far too many.. .. Toms bumper crop and peppers .. poly now doing well with winter lettuce .. spinach and radish .. Your GH in my opinion needs trays of gravel under the tomato pots , it helps the end rot problem, also make sure toms are moist in the evening / night . Not a good idea and not as some I have seen to flood the trays ..a good way to prevent over water is to have a lump of old towel hanging over the side, in each tray , it will take away excess water ..

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: New Greenhouse first season results.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 15:12:57 »
Thanks for your reply Picman! you say.....

Your GH in my opinion needs trays of gravel under the tomato pots , it helps the end rot problem, also make sure toms are moist in the evening / night

I basically agree with your comment and that is the purpose for the wood chipping bed i.e. to raise the humidity and as I already mentioned:

My hope is these will always remain damp and increase the humidity within the greenhouse, plus they will render down into a good humus making material by the end of the season when I will replace it with new and add the old to my compost!

Add to that; Gravel chippings get dirty and need cleaning each season (from previous experience) whereas the method I plan on using is free and re-usable!

But once again thanks for your opinion...tg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal