Author Topic: Weeding clearing, aching!  (Read 5665 times)

OldBob

• Not So New ...
Weeding clearing, aching!
« on: October 22, 2018, 23:27:29 »
Over the last few days weeded the remaining crops, leeks, turnips, beetroots, parsnips, celeriac, under my raspberry canes, cleared the last of the outside tomato plants away and ready to do the same in the greenhouse. Cleared the rhubarb down to the crowns, weeded  round them too, disposed of the squash plants I put in too late to get a harvest from. Other beds already weeded and mulched for winter. Japanese red onions have gone in. Just a couple of beds to weed and asparagus canes to cut down before tackling the nightmare 'herb garden' which has been overtaken by a rampant sage bush, the hot weather seemed to suit it. When the weather prevents gardening, beginning to plan for next year and reflecting on the mistakes I made this year. (Note to self -must do better) Trying not to think about the state of my shed, messy inside, needs repairs and painting outside.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Weeding clearing, aching!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 06:31:32 »
You can save yourself one job, unless the asparagus is already dry sticks, leave them to die back into the crown.

OldBob

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 20:03:13 »
Too late Ace, I've cut them down and put them in the recycling bin (too woody to compost) only to reveal more weeding. They were thick and bushy, hiding some creeping weeds whose name I forget, but all done now. Made a start on the shed, put hooks for some tools to keep them tidy. Just finished mowing one and a half builders bulk bags of leaves to make leafmould. It will replace the two year old stuff I've just used.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 13:02:04 »
You still have the hardest job of all left to do!  Reflecting on the mistakes made this year.  If you manage to find all those you will have done well.

Bill

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 14:47:49 »
Reflecting on the mistakes made this year.

I do this every year as I am looking through the catalogues.

Firstly I look at what I grew this year and reflect on how they went!

Were they good, bad or indifferent!

If they did not perform as well as I would have wanted them to, I reflect on the possibility that it was down to me i.e. had I sown them at the wrong time? had I grown them in the wrong place?  or was it the growing season? i.e. too hot / cold / dry or wet.

Once I determined this I would then decide if I wanted to grow them again.

Similarly; If I were trying a new variety of something I would plan to grow around 60%-70% of my tried and tested variety/s along with 30%-40% of the new variety to ensure that the new variety was better than the old variety.

Doing it this way means that both varieties get exactly the same treatment so I get a proper comparison before making my decision to replace the old with the new!

I have used this system for more years than I care to remember and it has worked fairly well for me! So yes" Reflecting on the mistakes made this year" is well worth the effort.

My dilemma at the moment is; Should I dig my plot over before I leave it?  or just leave it for the next tenant to do!

What do you think?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 11:31:53 »

My dilemma at the moment is; Should I dig my plot over before I leave it?  or just leave it for the next tenant to do!

What do you think?
  I am a bit old school and would dig it over. Enough to encourage them but not enough for them to breeze straight in
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:34:26 by ACE »

OldBob

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 20:56:19 »
Well Bill, I know my mistakes all too well. No-one judges me as hard as I judge myself. Of course, whilst I admit my mistakes to myself I may not be too ready to advertise them to others! I can only stand having so many red faces.
Tee Gee, clear the plot if you can. If you can't for whatever reason - time, physical ability, illness or whatever, - no shame. I have seen plots more than once left pristine, ready for a new tenant either left too long or neglected by the new owner so that weeds were rampant across the entire plot. My own plot was in less than perfect condition when I took it on but determination remedied that.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 23:21:03 »

What do you think?

Well whatever you do please please please do not leave it cluttered with rubbish. Over the years I have probably taken on half a dozen "new" plots. Some have been very overgrown, weed covered and in need of hard work. But a steady approach soons gets it under control.

But the ones that I truly detested are those where under the weeds you find chicken wire, broken panes of glass, rusty tin slug traps, plastic mesh,  bricks, bits of old carpet, crisp packets, bottles, rotten pallet wood, broken tools, etc, etc, etc.

Sorry. Rant over. I'm sure you will be leaving it in reasonable shape.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

OldBob

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 23:25:19 »
Well Beersmith, you wouldn't have liked mine then. I must have moved two tons of rubble, wood, plastic, various bits of metal when I moved on. That didn't include the rotten shed I demolished or the ruined, bent greenhouse frame. The amount of sizable stones, slate and pebbles I took out of the soil, you would not believe it had been cultivated for twenty years before I took it on. I don't go looking for stones, just remove them when I come across them. Whoever had it before me certainly didn't bother though.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 08:48:56 »
Hi Ya, Know what you mean about aching. Having been restricted for a month now, maybe longer dependent on what consultant says tomorrow, I had a look down my plot that is getting over taken by weeds and I had to do a bit but felt giddy and my back ached like I have never felt before. I am feeling better in myself but have to remember the advice I tell everyone else that is go at it little and often and I will take regular breaks. Must follow my own advice. Picked some nice carrots though and the greens I put in to over winter are looking good. Take care all.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 13:26:04 »
Well whatever you do please please please do not leave it cluttered with rubbish. Over the years I have probably taken on half a dozen "new" plots. Some have been very overgrown, weed covered and in need of hard work. But a steady approach soons gets it under control.

Well guys and gals nearly finished with the general tidy up of the plot. Would you consider this to be a tidy enough state to leave it in?(see pics below)

All I have to do now; is to sort through the junk/bric a brac in the two greenhouses that I have collected over the last twenty years to see if there is anything I might want to keep for future use and dig over the greenhouse beds. (Picture to follow when complete)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 14:10:29 »
tg now im going to put the cat amonst the pigeons as it were  when ive taken on new plots plots in the past ive had to sort thru junk and the like and ive really enjoyed going back looking at what past plot holders have been using i think its part of the soul of allotments ive still got some stuff that was left from 20years ago when i first started godonly knows how old it really is but i still use it now and again from old books to forks and spades so please dont be too clinical when clearing your plot as you have been a great custodian so leave alittle of yourself behind so the next plot holdercan wonder what you were like
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 14:50:21 »
leave a little of yourself behind so the next plot holder can wonder what you were like

That was the plan I have checked with my son & daughter if they need any tools and they don't so I will be leaving a well worn spade, a digging fork,a muck fork,a rake a back hoe, bird netting to name but a few, and the best thing of all my plot is the only one on the site free of "club root"

As I will be leaving a few friends behind on the plots when I leave I will have reason to go and visit them on occasions and see who my successor is and how they are getting on.

Just remembered; I have always  used spread sheets when following my rotation and bed plan so there are a quite a few of these pinned up in the greenhouse for the new tenant if they want to continue the rotation plan!

Found these photos of how my plot was when I took it over on 25th January 1994 (sorry for the quality)

OldBob

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 22:28:48 »
What can I say TeeGee. I am so jealous of whoever follows you. I wish mine had been as good as that when I took it over. Will it do - Oh yes!

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 07:53:23 »
Hi poor OldBob .......... me too !  :happy7:     :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal