Author Topic: Spanish squashes and pumpkins  (Read 1680 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
Spanish squashes and pumpkins
« on: October 22, 2018, 13:11:35 »
Just back from Asturias in northern Spain, where we were driving along a tiny, remote road and came across an amazing display of pumpkins and squashes.  Stopped to take a photo and the elderly lady came out to chat, but we had no language in common.  Called her son, who was the grower of all the produce, but he had no English or French, and I have no Spanish.  But we still managed to 'chat' for a good ten minutes!

peanuts

• Hectare
Re: Spanish squashes and pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 13:20:59 »
They insisted I should choose whatever I liked!  So I chose this one, as I didn't recognise it.  I understood them to say that I should keep it for two years and then it would be very sweet.
So help, Galina - do you recognise it?  And is it true I should keep it for that long?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 13:25:31 by Peanuts »

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 13:26:38 »
This is the couple who were so lovely and friendly

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 19:22:27 »
Looks like a shark fin melon.  A bit bland. Use them in chinese soup. There is a thread on here about them which includes one for a jam.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 19:45:34 »
Yes, I think you may be correct, looking at images online.  I've also had a look at the thread a few years ago.  Beginning to think I didn't make the best choice! 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 21:02:11 »
Yes that's right a Sharks Fin Melon.  And yes I still have one from last year.  They do store for 2 years but no need to wait that long.  Seeds are black and they grow very easily.  The flesh is quite thready which gives a unique mouth feel, very translucent white.  And it does taste very good in chicken soup.  Which was a suggestion from someone here.

The classic recipe is angel's hair marmalade which is a Spanish recipe.  Have never made that.  Just cut into chunks and thrown in with whatever needs bulking up.  Good in curries, especially when you want to stretch the meat content, very good also in a tomato sauce for pasta and delicious in soup.

It is not the most exciting squash, but if you have never tasted it before, maybe it is time to try it.  By the way, it is a different species from any squash, so there is no danger it will cross.  The species name is cucurbita ficifolia, aka fig leaf pumpkin.

I had to smile at your photo because here the figleafs are the largest pumpkins, but your seller's other squashes must have been enormous.  Love the look of the huge grey maxima squashes.  :wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 21:09:10 »

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 07:51:48 »
Thank you, Galina, for all the information! Lots of ideas! 
Yes there were  a lot of enormous pumpkins, and many more round the side and back of his wonderful display. And by the way, he  wasn't selling them.  He insisted they wanted me to take what I wanted.  He absolutely refused to take any money! They were lovely people.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 09:34:21 »
Lucky you!  That was so generous. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabell_d%27%C3%A0ngel

There is even a Wiki on the uses of this squash. 

There is a report on google somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment, that this squash came to Europe to keep exotic animals fed on long sea voyages, because it stores so well.  I wish I could remember better, but another of its names is Siam squash which might hint at its origin.  And people grew the strange looking seeds and it has been grown ever since, especially in Spain. 

Forgot to say, I made chutney with it, with garlic, chili and raisins.  That was excellent.  No doubt it can be used in any recipe for cucumber or courgette preserves.

:wave:   

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 09:39:48 by galina »

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 10:57:55 »
The best-tasting part of a sharkfin melon is the seeds - but that's my second reason for growing them - the texture is why most people grow them as you can tell from the recipes above. You can add them to the short list of okra substitutes that can add a gumbo texture to stews. Okra won't produce anything outside in our climate, and really isn't worth the space in the polytunnel.

I grow 1 or 2 plants, mainly to keep the seeds going so I can graft cucumbers - you need reliable germination to get the timing right.

2 things I haven't tried:

1) I've never tried immature fruit as courgettes (mainly because I grow them out of the way and they swell too quickly).

2) I've never tried freezing to have goo available when I want it - but that would be a very long shot, as I already use freezing to break down the goo in grapes and gooseberries to make juicing easier - in the case of grapes I freeze what's left after a first pressing, in the case of gooseberries it's absolutely essential if you want to get any juice at all without stewing - and I like the fresh taste not the stewed taste.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 09:49:22 »
What a fab photograph !   :wave: Debbie    :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal