Author Topic: Brogdale national Apple day event  (Read 1282 times)

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Brogdale national Apple day event
« on: October 17, 2018, 14:58:45 »
 At the weekend we went to the Brogdale national Apple day event, near Faversham in Kent. An excellent day out and well worth a visit if you happen to be in the area during mid October when the event is held each year. Plenty to see and do.  Talks on scientific research into growing apples in a warming climate, preserving genetic diversity, grafting, rootstocks, beekeeping, cookery demonstrations and more. Guided tours of the orchards by tractor and on foot, where they look after more than 2000 different varieties of apple.  Mini steam train for the kids. Good choice of things to eat and plenty of apples for sale including many many types not in the supermarkets.

Even squeezed in a tour of the Shepherd Name brewery with tasting session while in the area. Recommended to anyone with an interest in apples generally.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Brogdale national Apple day event
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 15:17:01 »

Even squeezed in a tour of the Shepherd Name brewery with tasting session while in the area.

I don't think I would have got to the apple day, Shepherd Neame, Heaven. Many  joyful nights and  sorrowful mornings with few glasses of Bishops Finger

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 18:46:47 »

Even squeezed in a tour of the Shepherd Name brewery with tasting session while in the area.

I don't think I would have got to the apple day, Shepherd Neame, Heaven. Many  joyful nights and  sorrowful mornings with few glasses of Bishops Finger

Brewery on Saturday. Apple day on Sunday.

I agree, they are a fine brewery company.  Still take huge pride in their craft. More than can be said for the megabrewers.  Pure water from an artesian well, plus mostly local hope and malt.

They claim the previous Pope used to enjoy a few pints of spitfire. No wonder they carried him around in a chair!

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 22:21:14 »
Ace,

Interesting fact. The name bishop's finger seems to derive from the distinctive signposts used to guide pilgrims to Canterbury. Beer doesn't just taste good it's actually educational.

My personal favourite is the standard India Pale Ale. Robust, clean hoppy flavour, 6.1% abv, and thirst quenching even if a bit too strong to be a session ale.

Cheers

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 07:16:59 »
Ages since I had any Shepard Neme, drinking Badger beers at the moment. Will get some in to try.
Apples day sounds good too!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 07:36:16 »
Talking of apples, Deacons Nursery, the best apple trees on the planet have a lot of apple trees half price at the moment, also talking beer, that Bishops Finger has never pointed me in the right direction, enjoy the Badger known as boys bitter down this way. Get into Sainsburys, their own brand Kentish ale is really Shepherd Neame spitfire in a different guise. Now back to gardening and apples, we have an apple day coming up on the Garden Isle, I'll have to have a nosey round.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal