Author Topic: Where to prune my medlar to?  (Read 1471 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
Where to prune my medlar to?
« on: October 16, 2018, 20:02:35 »
Sheer weight of fruit has broken the top out of my two-year old medlar - see the attached pic. How far back should I be pruning it, please? I'm assuming as they tend to bush it'll be fine.

Over 50 medlars from a tree four feet high - no wonder the poor thing cracked! Destined for medlar jelly as uncooked they go straight through me and the missus - castor oil has nothing on them, eye of a needle stuff for four days!

Every time I look at the things I think of cats going away from me...

Adrian

My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: Where to prune my medlar to?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 21:10:14 »
Thanks for that, I think I'll leave you on your own - I don't want to be a meddler!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 11:21:32 »
uncooked they go straight through me and the missus - castor oil has nothing on them, eye of a needle stuff for four days!
Adrian

You aren't eating them fresh are you? I've never had any problem with the bletted fruit that are so soft they taste like the filling of a an apple-and-cinnamon pie - an internal enzyme reaction, not a rot (though a few will rot). Without this process they wouldn't be able to attract animals to disperse the seeds.

NB. I'm not completely immune to aubergines, parsnips, £artychokes etc.

You can prune them like ordinary apples or crabs - pretty much to whatever shape you like.

Cheers.

PS. The 'country name' translates to what the french call them - cul de chien - but they are a lot bigger than either - think English Mastiff or Dire Wolf (but fortunately going the other way).

PPS. If you grow or eat burdock, never, never, ever leave part of the crown on the root (think of the flyboarding equivalent of body surfing).
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 22:30:56 »
No, I'm letting them blet, but they just go straight through. I can understand fruit disgreeing - apricots, sadly 'cos I love them, make me a social pariah - but the sheer length of time they upset me for is quite something.

Right, once the leaves drop I'll see where I can get stuck in...

Thanks,

Adrian

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 17:29:43 »
Interesting - it's rootstock is obviously hawthorn. I'll have to nip the sideshoots off when I have the secaturs handy.

Half a pint of medlar reduction currently in the fridge to make jelly with later when SWMBO has the oven hot for bread, so I can sterilise my jars.

ADRian

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal