Author Topic: Onions from seeds  (Read 1257 times)

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
Onions from seeds
« on: October 15, 2018, 07:04:21 »
Next year I plan to grow onions from seeds for the first time in several years, apart from silver-skins for pickling.  I have read of a method in which the seeds are sown in a tray, pricked out into 3 1/2 inch pots (5 to a pot).  When large enough and hardened off, the contents of the pots are planted out as clumps, 15 inches apart and grown on like shallots.  The writer claims to have had very good results with no onion weighing less than 8 oz (variety not specified).  Has anyone else used this method and what results were obtained.  I may set aside a small area of the onion bed to grow by this method as an experiment and sow the remaining seeds as normally recommended.

Any thoughts?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Onions from seeds
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 08:18:14 »
Worth a try.. worst case scenario... small irregular shaped onions, treat as shallots or for pickling!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 09:47:03 »
I believe that this is done with commercial crops at times as the roots of onions make them hard to plant out individually. 
I have tried it with Long Red Florence and they were fine - got a good crop but I haven't tried it with large wider varieties..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 10:12:25 »
I have seen this method demonstrated on Charles Dowdings website. Certainly looks as if it works!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:41:13 »
I have tried this but if the window of opportunity for planting out comes before the roots fill the pot then the clump will fall apart when you take it out.

Annoying when using separate pots but a huge time-waster when using cells.

The answer is to cut up a mesh bag into strips as wide as the cells and push each strip into a row - leave loops of mesh exposed so you can scissor through the exposed bits when you want to plant out -  lifting the ends out gives you a hammock with the clump safely wrapped. For onions and shallots you might want to use bags from oranges rather than onions.

I use this method for all cell-grown plants unless I'm absolutely certain they aren't going to be planted out early.

The only stuff I use naked cells for are late brassicas and anything with really quick roots like tomatoes and courgettes.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 13:06:16 »
The writer claims to have had very good results with no onion weighing less than 8 oz

Are you sure he said "less than 8" rather than "more"?

The reason I ask is that in the exhibiting world there is a very popular class for onions not exceeding 8 oz and strange as it seems it is quite a difficult thing to achieve particularly if you want to display a set of onions just a few grammes less than 8oz.

I have seen no end of disqualifications because one or more of the onions was just a gramme or two overweight.

Here are a few pictures of my preferred methods:

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/O/Onion/Onions.htm

click on photos to enlarge them!

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 08:00:19 »
Thanks for the feedback.  As to the size, the exact words were "all at least 8 oz".  He said nothing about the variety.  I will try the method in a small area but plant more traditionally in the remaining part of the bed.  Being a raised bed, I may also try a more 'intensive' spacing in a small area.  A friend grows with much closer spacing (4 inches either way) and gets good results.  Admittedly he lives abroad so the climate may have an effect but it may be worth my trying.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 10:38:20 »
Geoff Hamilton advocated this method in hs Ornamental Kitchen Garden series.   Worth checking out the DVD which is cheap to buy and comes with the Cotage and Paradise Garden series too.

I shall be growing onions from seeds too but mostly so I can get spring onions which I never see in the shops here, just young but fat onions with greenery still attached.  I have some seeds for pale pink Niort onions which I shall start ina window box now but most will be saved for growing in plugs and then transplanting as clums next spring.
Obxx - Vendée France

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 12:22:21 »
have a look on you tube there are some intresting videos on line, i grew my onions in commersial cells i was given at a gardening place and did not transplant these from there into something else instead i popped into place and covered in a plastic cover and gradually removed for longer and longer and planted about 4"-6" apart and as they popped up i covered with more soil there still going :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal