Author Topic: Chicken manure  (Read 1077 times)

Danno

• Not So New ...
Chicken manure
« on: October 13, 2018, 23:01:11 »
Hi everyone. I have 14 chickens on my plot and they produce a fair am mount of manure. I have a compost bin that I'm using for the manure. Can I empty the whole thing including the manure that is only a week old into a bed and dig it in ready for next year or do I need to leave it in the compost bin to rot down before it's dug in? Thanks in advance, Danno

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Chicken manure
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 08:39:00 »
My preference would be to turn the contents of the bin, mixing thoroughly and allow to rot down. Try to keep covered but moist during the winter.Maybe turn/mix again if very strawy.
 The nutrients of poultry manure are relatively strong (concentrated and soluble.) I would then spread the composted material on to (in my case)mulch layer as a 'top dressing'; ie a thin layer a week before planting out.Its a valuable resource.
 Experience of this site suggests others may have different advice!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: Chicken manure
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 10:06:59 »
Ancell's Farmer is correct in the general case, but if you are intending to dig it into a bed that you won't be using until spring (the best part of six months away still! Help!), I can't see why not. The rain will dilute the as yet too concentrated nutrients. However, if it's got a lot of still unrotted straw or other bedding / litter (especially sawdust), I'd let it stand for longer, and preferably turn it to mix it up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal