Author Topic: pea question  (Read 1408 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
pea question
« on: October 11, 2018, 16:34:52 »
Franchi packet says sow up to November has anyone tried them at this time of year

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: pea question
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 18:08:20 »
With some hardier types, you can sow in autumn and give them a bit of protection to overwinter ... a bit like broad beans or sweet peas.  Apparently they will get going again when it warms up and give you an early crop ... I've never tried it though.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 06:16:35 »
They are Mangetout also known as snow peas.  I have tried it with ordinary peas covered in bottle cloches.  They did ok.

I've also got some which have self seeded, just popped up unexpectedly.  I normally sow them in February.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 12:59:14 »
I'm going to try putting some seeds in this weekend to hopefully give them a headstart for early Spring. I absolutely love fresh peas but I never get a decent crop with the plants getting mildew and frazzling by June.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 13:45:32 »
Winterkefe (winter mangetout) is a variety that is said to make it through winter.  Never been lucky myself, but also have self seeded small plants in the garden which I will transplant into the greenhouse.  :wave:

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 16:13:23 »
I got a package cheap  so I don't mind experimenting.   I'm off on my summer holiday in January so they won't get watered.     So they will have to cope outside with just the bottle cloches.   I normally sow them in February,  so that there is a nice wall of peas to keep my courgettes out of the wind.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal