Author Topic: Digging a plot  (Read 1327 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Digging a plot
« on: October 08, 2018, 15:31:32 »
I am in the process of digging over a plot to plant apples, soft fruit etc.
With grass is it ok just to dig it in?  Obviously I am removing any permanent weeds.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Digging a plot
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 21:11:19 »
For anything that will occupy the ground for a long period, trees fruit asparagus etc the real enemy is perennial weeds.  So your plans to eliminate these as far as possible is exactly correct.  The problem with grass is that some varieties are perennial weeds in their own right.

You really need to fork through a good area of the grasses and identify which types you are dealing with. Couch grass for example is easily recognised, but if you do find perennial grasses in the mix - regrettably - it will be much harder work to remove these using only a garden fork.  No perennials? Just dig in.

If you find lots of perennial grasses you may need to consider herbicide to clear the area before planting. This is not an option I would choose, but my soil is comparatively light and several years hard work has allowed me to clear my plots of perennials apart from a small patch of bindweed that re invades each year from a neighbour's plot who seems happy to ignore it rather than try to remove it.

Good luck. Overall, fruit returns some of the best value for time and effort that you can get from an allotment.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 06:57:53 »
Worth digging out the grass for raspberries, perennial grasses are difficult to weed out between them if you leave even tiny bits of root. 
Apples and currants etc can be mulched round with cardboard, compost or even weeds to prevent them growing so for them I would dig it all in.

I have a row of blackcurrant next to a path full of perennial grasses and it needs light to grow and it does not get any. 

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 08:10:54 »
The most successful "orchard" sections of allotments I've seen are mowed grass in between the trees and bushes ... with some of the younger trees and bushes mulched around the base of the plants.  The action of regular mowing eventually allows only grasses to grow and kills off/hold back most of the bigger weeds.  On most allotments this requires the use of a petrol or push mower as very few of us have access to electricity.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 08:34:05 »
The most successful "orchard" sections of allotments I've seen are mowed grass in between the trees and bushes ... with some of the younger trees and bushes mulched around the base of the plants.  The action of regular mowing eventually allows only grasses to grow and kills off/hold back most of the bigger weeds.  On most allotments this requires the use of a petrol or push mower as very few of us have access to electricity.
Couldn't I get a battery powered trimmer?

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 17:32:55 »
There is no need to hurry the"grassing" process.  Young trees should be given several years to establish before grassing.  And also if you choose some rootstocks it is recommended not to grass. Apple M27, M9 and cherry Gisela5 are all dwarfing and not so strong growing so do not appreciate the competition around their roots.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal