Author Topic: Today's the day  (Read 3346 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
Today's the day
« on: October 08, 2018, 15:01:12 »
Laurie always says today is the day to sow sweet peas and with the weather warming up, I think he is right. But I didn't think ahead to soak them. I know it isn't essential but the packet recommends it, so I will be a day late. Sorry Laurie! I must also buy some garlic bulbs. Have planted Casablanca last two years with success but suggestions welcome.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Today's the day
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 20:36:43 »
Great reminder.  Thanks.   I shall also be a day late and also need to go and see what garlic is available for planting.

This year I had my first crop ever and it's lush - always got frozen to mush in my Belgian garden - and sweet peas here definitely need an early start cos of the heat.  3rd time lucky I hope.
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 07:12:29 »
Thank you for the reminder. 

I got some for 50p so I might try some.  My biggest problem is mice over the winter.  They simply eat the shoots.  I might try leaving them on my allotment I seem to have got a cat there.  Hopefully next to the waterbutt will be warm enough over the winter.  And there are plenty of other things for the mice or voles to chew on.   I am having a problem with moles, but they are luckily not interested in sweet peas. 

My daughter died in March this year and we always called her sweet pea.  So I should very much like some next year.

Also today was the new moon so for me that is a very good day. 

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 08:46:47 »
Really hope that the sweet peas do well for you.
Did she like them too?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 10:10:53 »
 So sorry to hear Digeroo.  Hope you get a great display in her honour.  Maybe add a perennial one too.
  :angel11:

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 14:44:22 »
oh thanks good reminder :)

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 16:31:17 »
Thank you for the reminder. 

I got some for 50p so I might try some.  My biggest problem is mice over the winter.  They simply eat the shoots.  I might try leaving them on my allotment I seem to have got a cat there.  Hopefully next to the waterbutt will be warm enough over the winter.  And there are plenty of other things for the mice or voles to chew on.   I am having a problem with moles, but they are luckily not interested in sweet peas. 

My daughter died in March this year and we always called her sweet pea.  So I should very much like some next year.

Also today was the new moon so for me that is a very good day. 
Very sorry to hear of your tragic loss. Sweet peas are lovely flowers to associate with her memory. You may know that Popeye and Olive Oyle called their baby Sweet pea : random fact

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 22:49:39 »
I'm very sorry you lost your daughter Digeroo but think it's a lovely idea to remember her with sweet peas.  Good luck with them.

I found my garlic yesterday and bought some white onion sets to try plus seeds for sweet peas, nasturtiums and pale pink Niort onions in case I can't find any seeds for proper pink Roscoff onions.  Not bothering with red onions again.

I'm hoping that a really early start for the sweet peas will get me some plants mature enough to flower before we get drought and heat waves next year.
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 06:21:25 »
drought and heat cooked mine this year. 

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 12:14:31 »
Thank you so much , Platstoeat I had been watchin the dates but somehow got mixed up thinking next Monday was the day but I have sown them now. I feel I must clear one point I have never soaked my seed, in fact firmly believe that too much water damages germination. When I sow I give one good watering with a rose and then no more until they all show. I do set some mouse traps as one year they cleared the lot. We all have our own ideas but I usually get around 98% germination.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 12:31:56 »
Thank you so much , Platstoeat I had been watchin the dates but somehow got mixed up thinking next Monday was the day but I have sown them now. I feel I must clear one point I have never soaked my seed, in fact firmly believe that too much water damages germination. When I sow I give one good watering with a rose and then no more until they all show. I do set some mouse traps as one year they cleared the lot. We all have our own ideas but I usually get around 98% germination.
So pleased to be able to return the favour. You are the goto man for sweet peas and I have found your replies really helpful Don't normally soak them but the packets advised it. I have used a propagator this year so hope it didn't cook the seeds with this wierd warm spell.
I had a good crop this year with long stems and many with four flowers. I sowed again in the Spring but the results were disappointing.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 14:41:10 »
Sown on the 13 first ones just showing today 19th.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal