Author Topic: New garden- clay soil  (Read 2547 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
New garden- clay soil
« on: October 05, 2018, 20:23:44 »
We have finally moved to Berwick-upon-Tweed! The garden is currently just about all gravel and lawn, with a couple of trees but our new neighbours tell me the soil is clay, which I've never had to deal with before. It will be a while before I start trying to change the garden, but in preparation, what plants (perennials and shrubs) would you say are best for clay soil, bearing in mind that we are almost in Scotland too?

ACE

• Hectare
Re: New garden- clay soil
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 20:36:22 »
Rhodies, azaleas  and my favourite, alchemilla mollis for starters.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 22:04:37 »
I think walking round the area and seeing what is doing well in other people's gardens is a good idea.  Apart from anything if you can meet the neighbours that way it is a good way to make contact.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 22:28:41 »
Right now we have a beautiful display of Japanese Anemone and Sedum Autumn Joy.  We are on slightly alkaline clay.  :wave:

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 07:07:21 »
I'd check your pH before taking up Ace's suggestion for rhodos and azaleas - you may well get acid clay soils up there as you're well north of the chalk that underlies clay further south, but need to make sure.

Roses like clay and will grow in Scotland, though do get from a local supplier to make sure they are acclimatised already. SWMBO's rellies grow them in coastalAberdeenshire, but the best ones are in a walled garden so you might need a bit of shelter.

Digeroo's suggestion is good - you are North, so *the neighbours will *talk* to you*! Asterisks because to this southerner it's really noticeable.

Half of Scotland's verges are knee deep in crocosmia, so if you like that you are sorted.

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 06:06:38 »
Though in some areas front gardens no longer have flowers but are full of concrete and cars.  But if you cannot find an azalea or rhododendron or a rose,  best not plant them.   Our local garden centre stocks them which I think is very irresponsible.  Though there are part of Swindon and Oxfordshire where you can  grown them.  There is bracken in the hedgerow in some areas. 

But even with acid soil you have to be careful because alkaline comes out of the tap.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 17:41:09 »
Thanks, everyone. We have already met most of our lovely neighbours, and they've all got lovely gardens so will definitely pick their brains too, once the house is free of packing boxes!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 21:20:43 »
If you want your garden to be productive as well as attractive, some tree fruits might be a good idea. Possibly some fruit bushes too, but avoid raspberries as they hate being waterlogged and this can easily happen with clay soil in wet weather.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 15:46:08 »
That's a shame- my raspberries were my most successful crop on my Yorkshire allotment!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 19:12:01 »
Refer to my posts elsewhere, build up your raised bed, provide drainage if necessary, mulch heavily onto undug ground,providing weed suppression as required. Plant raspberries, mulch , mulch,mulch again- be positive and then tell us that you succeeded.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal