Author Topic: Rain yesterday but not enough  (Read 3464 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Rain yesterday but not enough
« on: October 07, 2018, 05:55:59 »
We had seven hours of rain yesterday mostly rather light.  My yoghurt pot rain gauge has only a cm (less than 1/2) inch in it.  So I took the opportunity to plant out some chitted wizard beans,  to find the soil was dry as a bone only four inches down.  And I had watered the area the day before to prepare for the beans.

Meanwhile with plummeting temperature we will have another frost.   Though all the water about the place might prevent that.

nodig

• Half Acre
Re: Rain yesterday but not enough
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 09:22:17 »
When it was my turn to be rain guage monitor at school  there was little or no rainfall at all in the guage that week so I added about an inch or two of water from the tap and recorded that - I thought 0.1mm was a bit boring and difficult to measure anyway.  My teacher was very angry when someone split on me, I didn't really understand why he was so angry over a couple of inches of water. 

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 21:31:19 »
Doh!  Science - record, observe, theorise, observe, record.  Adding water is cheating and invalidates everything that went before.

10.1 mm yesterday, just enough to make the trees drip and wet the windows but everything else is bone dray, especially after the winds we've had today.

Obxx - Vendée France

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 06:57:28 »
I was happy to receive just 10mm, and will be happier if it becomes daily, not weekly. Just let it come at night.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 09:04:39 »
Hi Ya, We had rain and it measured .3" on the rain gauge. Yesterday I lifted my spent sweet corn plant and was surprised that as you have said the top few mils was wet but it was so dry further down. We need a good spot of rain to really soak in but be carefull what we wish for as once it starts it won't know when to stop.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 09:06:19 »
We had rain most of the day Saturday. But it hadn't even made it past the top layer of manure and the ground underneath was still dry.

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 08:33:18 »
Enough for this weekend-36mm Fri-Mon. (Crondall)
Some more in a few days please.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 09:48:22 »
Hi Ya, We had rain and it measured .75" on my gauge. A fair drop after a long time without. I was surprised how dry the ground was when I worked it and O wonder if this was enough to penetrate very far.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 13:16:02 »
wonder if this was enough to penetrate very far.

Doubt it!

I have been moving quite a few shrubs in the past couple of weeks and the soil at the base of all the plants I moved were snuff dry.

When transplanting I have found that when I have dug the hole I found the same conditions.

What I did before transplanting was to pour a 2 gallon can full  of water into the hole and let it soak in to the soil below.

Then I backfilled with moist well rotted manure and on completion poured another two gallons of water around each plant.

The plants don't seem to be sulking like I have seen at other times when I have carried out transplants! In  fact if anything I think they have perked up now that the rootball has had a good soaking!

So fingers crossed I hope my transplanting will be a success, must say I am quietly optimistic!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 13:38:07 »
Over 2 inches of water in a bucket by patio door feeling glad i have not topped up the fish pond :)

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 18:02:47 »
While the rest of the country had some real downpours here in SE half of Kent, all we had was a few hour drizzle 1.3mm :(

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 21:32:36 »
We had the first real rain since May this weekend.  about 2 inches.  I estimate that will go down about 4 inches.   I guesstimate we still need more than a foot of rain may be as much as 2 feet.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 21:48:25 by Digeroo »

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 06:23:30 »
Yes, but ,
please,
 not all at once!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 10:41:41 »
.8mm in the last couple of days.  I expect this morning's heavy mist has provided more moisture to the plants as it's only just burned off.

None forecast for days either so just messing with pots and sowing some onions and sweet peas for me and maybe some peas for edible shoots.
Obxx - Vendée France

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 12:35:46 »
Summer to winter in two days! Snow today, then rain now sun. Not making any plans

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal