Author Topic: Growlights  (Read 2034 times)

Danno

• Not So New ...
Growlights
« on: October 02, 2018, 22:16:35 »
Hi everyone. I have been looking online and found the "garland grow light garden" on amazon for £70.
 I am wanting to use it next year to raise seedling such as tomatoes and mainly chillis early on.
Has anyone had any experience with this item?
here is the link https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0038NDWME/?coliid=I2LQTC1TL6Z8OD&colid=1G4JAKAKQSWA1&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it .
any help would be greatly appreciated! also I don't have room for a "proper" set up like a grow tent! cheers

lezelle

• Acre
Re: Growlights
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 09:20:18 »
Hi Ya, I'm interested as well. The reports I have seen all point to a good product. I did a search and the amazon one is quite pricey. I looked at Waitrose Garden and it's on offer there for £55 and £6.93 for next day delivery which I thought was good. Look forward to any further advice.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 10:46:35 »
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 12:22:52 »
I used to have to get plants out of season for garden shows. I only ever used bubble wrap for draught proofing and the strip light came on a couple of hours early with a timer, sometimes if it was really cold an ordinary light bulb in a clay pot warmed the area up a bit. Mini micro climates work well with stuff you can knock up with household bits and pieces. I think some of these companies are laughing all the way to the bank.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 14:40:29 »

Danno

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 20:13:17 »
Hi Ya, I'm interested as well. The reports I have seen all point to a good product. I did a search and the amazon one is quite pricey. I looked at Waitrose Garden and it's on offer there for £55 and £6.93 for next day delivery which I thought was good. Look forward to any further advice.
That's the micro version. the one on amazon is the full sized version. I'm waiting something to sit on a worktop and not be too obvious. the LED growlights need a tent really so that's out of the question.
i think I'll give it a go nearer Christmas and see how i get on. I'll report back on how it goes!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 10:15:17 »
Hi Ya. Ok with you Danno. I had a closer look. Am I to take it you have gone for said item then? I am considering it as I have a voucher for amazon so it will be even cheaper. Good luck

Danno

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 21:01:15 »
Hi Ya. Ok with you Danno. I had a closer look. Am I to take it you have gone for said item then? I am considering it as I have a voucher for amazon so it will be even cheaper. Good luck
i will be buying it closer to Christmas to help with starting my chillis and peppers. if you buy it sooner than me then  please keep me updated! cheers

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 05:46:29 »
I recently have purchased and installed this:
https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/100w-led-grow-lights-1365-smd-3528-5292-6300-lm-red-blue-waterproof-ac85-265-v-1-pcs_p5542245.html?prm=1.3.6.0
delivered within 5 days.
It is a 120deg reflector and centrally hung in 8x6 greenhouse @ 1850mm above path, easily illuminates the whole area at 800mm above floor
Together with :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wall-Mounted-Photocell-Timer-amp-Light-Controller-White-STANLEY-/362369464383?hash=item545ee7383f

it will enable varying length 'extra days' for those early weeks and once switched on ,needs no day-to-day attendance .Fully automatic ,on at dusk(set at 300lux but variable), off at dawn,or for a period you can set internally. I have set mine to give 14hours of ' daylight' daily  initially.
No actual use yet but tested and seems good. Has the advantage of only reflecting down so little stray light to annoy neighbours etc, just a pretty 'pink' glow within. Will report results after a test batch with control.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal