Author Topic: Borage.  (Read 2627 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Borage.
« on: October 01, 2018, 12:47:59 »
Anybody that plants borage on an allotment should be banned for life from any allotments. Or given a plot full of mares tail. Every little bit of root starts throwing up another plant and the black bits of root are like mares tail so you cannot see them when digging  until it is too late and they have started shooting again. I am glad I did not rotovate, just digging the stuff up has given me 20 plants for each one dug out. No I do not want buckets of slimey, stinkey shite to use as fertiliser so don't suggest it. They say you can cook it, where's my flame thrower?

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Borage.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 19:46:59 »
Ace,

I will freely admit that I don't always agree with some of your comments, but, my word, I will defend to the hilt your right to say them.

Your direct, irreverent, take no prisoners style is without equal on the site. They always make me smile, and reminds me not to always take things too seriously. Never change.

My advice - Take off and nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 20:08:14 »
They do have lovely flowers, though- think how many vats of Pimms you could decorate! ;)
And good for composting?

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 06:30:40 »

Good, more for me..................... :wave:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 06:46:19 »
My bees seem to disagree with you, they love them : and help them set seed..............
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 07:48:13 »
Talking of Mare's Tail, look at this stuff I saw on Vancouver Island. It came up to my chest and each stem was about half the width of my finger! (Not the best of pictures, but you can just about see it)
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 08:09:23 »
Not with you on this one Ace, bees love the borage, my rabbits love it too.
It pulls out easily and composts down. I am not sure what you mean by the problem you have with the roots. That doesn't sound anything like the borage I have, mine have a big tap root and when I pull it up that's that.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 09:14:02 »
I have demonised the wrong plant. When I first got the new plot I strimmed it to the ground. I did notice a lot of Borage and there is still some self seeders. Unbeknown to me there was also some Centaurea/ perennial cornflower/ knapweed planted in the same area, when the borage seed started showing so did the knapweed and the junior leaves look the same. Borage is annual so hoeing will get rid of, so very sorry Borage lovers. Can't say the same to centaurea lovers. I'll have a pint of Pimms Caroline and think about my next move.

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 16:39:10 »
When I first read this about borage I thought wait a mo i never get problems with it spreading  So when you mentioned  black roots my first thought was may be you meant comfrey which does have black roots and spread

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 20:29:14 »
I thought it strange when you mentioned the fertisers.   I like borage and have taken quite a time to attract it.  I rather like the fact it can have blue and pink flowers on the same plant.  I also though  it was an annual. 

I still wonder if you are talking about comfrey.  It is on the list of RHS thug plants, while centaurea is not it is invasive in Alaska.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal