Author Topic: Pest solutions for Slugs and carrot root fly  (Read 3255 times)

Avine

Pest solutions for Slugs and carrot root fly
« on: September 26, 2018, 22:44:06 »
Hello,

I am new to the forum, based in Boston. Lincolnshire. Allotment committee are super helpful but i don't want to keep bothering them with questions all the time and i came across this forum so i thought i'd ask for some suggestions here.

So i experimented this year with a few things, the potatoes that i surrounded with a barrier of egg shells seem to have come away slug free but i couldn't really get enough egg shells to do this for the entire plot so perhaps this is not a good long term solution.
Would a pond be a good overall solution for this? Does a pond have to be a certain size? There is a rather large frog sitting under my tomato plant right now so i am inclined to dig a home for it.
I haven't checked if the committee would be okay with a pond, is there any reason they would decline?

My other big problem was carrot root fly, i had some delicious red carrots this year but unfortunately looked rather sad due to the many holes. The plants were covered throughout with fine netting. Is there any organic pesticide or other pest control method someone has to suggest for carrot root fly?

thank you for your help.

Asim

Avine

Re: Pest solutions for Slugs and carrot root fly
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 22:45:34 »
I did also try Neem oil on some of my plants, that worked pretty good but would prefer to have a more permanent solution that i don't have to work for, a pond sounds like an attractive idea.

Asim

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 06:18:36 »
I am not sure that frog live in ponds much of the year.  I  am near several lakes and currently have a good number of frogs and toads. 

No sure about the egg shells.   Some potatoes stay free of slug damage you would have had to grow some outside of the shells to see if I  made a difference.

I am sorry to say I use slug pellets.   I tried without but I was loosing the battle.  I also have regular visits from a hedgehog so try to keep them to a minimum using in them in bottle cloches mostly so they are covered.

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 08:00:16 »
Hi and welcome,
The slugs which make holes in potatoes tend to live in the soil so egg shells on the surface will not help much. The hot dry weather this year probably did a lot help. I started using nematodes this year but didn't carry on due to the weather.  They are an expensive but organic treatment that has to be repeated six weekly.

You will have to discuss a pond with your committee, they may say there is a risk to safety or they may be happy to allow it. Even a small pond can help frogs but if your neighbours use slug pellets they might eat poisoned  slugs.

Shame about your carrots, make sure the fleece is well pegged down or grow in tubs ( as well as the cover) can help.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 10:24:29 »
Hi All, Hi Avine and welcome. When you thinned or weeded your carrots did you remove the fleece? if so and dependent on what time of day you did the job carrot fly are notorious for homing in on the scent of carrot tops being disturbed. Any one else on site affected by them? I always weed in the evening or push the fleece back a little at a time to avoid the fly. Carrot fly don't usually leave holes but more a red coloured trail. It could be slugs under ground those horrid little black/grey ones. I find sowing carrot thinly so as to avoid thinning the best way and keep them covered as much as you can at all times. I don't advocate the use of slug pellets mainly because of wildlife that eat them and even if you cover the bait they still make their way out to be eaten. I use beer traps set in the soil that catches the big ones. I am starting to think the big slugs are not as much of a problem as the underground ones. You can make slug traps at home if you do a search it will show how to make and use them it's easy. Other ways are to leave covers of wood or some such as the slugs go under for shade them you can deal with them. Get a good book like Dr Hesayons (The Vegeatable Expert) and you will learn a great deal and your fellow gardeners shouldn't mind your questions. Good luck and I hope you enjoy a fascinating hobby. Hope this helps and never get down hearted and give up. Wait till you start composting that's another subject. Don't be afraid to ask questions on here as there are a great many knowledgeable people on here who are willing to help and advise. I will look out for your plots site as it is nice to see how others do things and get some tips. I'm still learning after 30 years. I visit Spalding from time to time but I've never been to Boston. Will have to visit the town some time.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 10:34:01 by lezelle »

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 21:36:46 »
Hello and welcome.

Keeping an allotment is a huge source of pleasure with the added bonus of all that fresh fruit and vegetables. But the harsh reality is that you are going to suffer some losses to pests and diseases. The secret of being a happy allotmenteer is not to worry about minor losses but to know the techniques to avoid serious losses.

The problem is that every season is different. This year one of the few benefits of the drought was very low levels of slug damage. Whereas I experienced dreadful black fly infestation on my runner beans. So bad that despite my best efforts yields were very low. So you also have to be ready for the occasional disaster. No need to be pessimistic, there will always be some crops that do way better than expected.

On the specific questions you asked I have a comment about carrot fly. Done properly barrier methods are very effective at preventing carrot fly damage. It may take a bit of trial and error to perfect your approach but once you  get a method that works for you - covers, barriers, mesh size and strength - carrot fly damage can be more or less completely eliminated. I use close weave mesh over hoops - the standard blue gas pipe you will see on most allotments. It works very well indeed.

On the other hand I have never found "companion planting" has any beneficial effects at all. Though I know some people swear by it. But your knowledge and experience will grow in leaps and bounds. You may not even have to ask questions. Search this site and you will often find discussion from other members that have also experienced similar issues.

Happy growing.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 23:05:39 »
P.S.

Carrot root fly damage is very distinctive.  If you Google images of carot root fly damage you will be able to compare your crop with typical root fly damage. This will allow you to identify the cause of the damage. It may be root fly but perhaps your barriers worked and it is some other type of pest.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 08:44:18 »
You can easily guard against carrot root fly by planting in a tall container or raised bed.  Apparently the female carrot flies can't actually fly above 60cm!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal