Author Topic: Frost and ice  (Read 3720 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Frost and ice
« on: September 25, 2018, 08:18:11 »
Weather forecast got that wrong must have been -1 or -2.  Ice on surface of wate :BangHead:r on can!!  Gutted.  My dahias will not be happy!!! :BangHead:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Frost and ice
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 09:17:03 »
Yes, local weather (Crondallweather.co.uk) show below 0Deg C for 5 hours last night, minimum recorded as -0.8
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 09:37:10 »
Plus 2C, but still frost damage in the garden.  In September!   :BangHead:

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 09:58:26 »
The very tips of my dahlias were black yesterday, so I picked all the open flowers. More frost overnight so I think that may be the end for them - very, very early for here :(

I'll have to get the squashes in soon as well, at this rate.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 16:32:42 »
Some of my squashes do not look happy,  a wet looking patch on them is not promising, courgettes, are doomed.   I have plenty of debris netting I could have thrown over.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 12:23:41 »
Went to plot this morning with heart in mouth expecting total devastation.  None of it.  Four plants looking very sad, a few plants with a few nipped leaves but most are fine.   I am sure they are really a weed.

:blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 21:11:03 »
Likewise,  but courgettes- finished, squash/pumpkins scorched, runner beans look as if they have been swept with a paintbrush, showing leaf edges 'painted'. Rogue Sungold tomatoes from the compost, which were blown over last week, have the top surface burnt, sheltered tomatoes show no signs. Down to 2 degs last night, wonder whats to follow?

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 05:54:43 »
I have one surviving patch of beans which had straying off the canes and onto a jostaberry.   And one courgette which the outside leaves scorched but the growing tip is fine.   All others gone and a tromba d'albenga squash scorched so it will not keep.

Half of one plot  near the trees is fine, rest of that plot was well frozen, and other plot is  much more expose, though gets more sunshine, so everything there frozen.  I managed to cover my dahlias on that plot.  Rather annoyingly I have some debris netting over some clover to keep birds off the seeds which would not mind the cold at night but not over the tender things.
Some cold early mornings forecast  Saturday onwards.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 06:01:39 by Digeroo »

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 07:48:21 »
4C at 7.30 here in S Wales. Heating kicked in at 4 o'clock!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 16:14:06 »
We  had another frost last night.  Brize Norton was recording 2c at 6am.  So at ground level in an open field we were bound to get below 0.   I covered most of my dahlias but debris netting is not enough.  Those covered in blankets or compost bins look the best.   Now looking for some more old blankets.   Put a plastic box over one, not only did this squash the plant, but the frost got in through some small holes and upset some leaves.

Though two plots away their dahlias look fine.  However further down the site there is devastation.   All my courgettes have now had it.

Just going for another cover up session.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 17:33:24 »
Below zero again last night. Peppers in cold frame now gone, last planting of french beans likewise. Looks like it could be a long winter.... frustrating in so far as recorded temp overnight for Shetland was 10 degrees!
Tomatoes in 'shelter' still holding on but collapsing under weight of, yet to ripen, heavy crop. Chutneys in waiting, I suspect.
Dry ground conditions are permitting good barrowing of new mulching material so progress in preparation for next spring.
Good selection of leafy crops for Autumn and (frost permitting-cloches poised!) , spinach, chard, kale, aztec broccoli,winter salads, savoy cabbage and carrots remaining . Celeriac swelling nicely and red celery to excess.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 22:07:58 »
i have moved my runner beans into greenhouse in the hope of keeping the going a little longer to get at least one crop off them.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 15:32:26 »
I am still picking runner beans  we have had some chilly nights but nothing too bad yet. I will go to plot tomorrow to pick for tomorrow night. I am I Kent .

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 15:28:57 »
First frost of the season here this morning, a bit early this year, but the majority of my plot is dug over and covered with 3" of manure and tucked up for the winter now. Still have to poly to play in.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 16:01:23 »
but the majority of my plot is dug over and covered with 3" of manure and tucked up for the winter now.

Well done your other half...hope she kept good time!

Do you think if I buy my other half a watch she will do similar for me?  :angel11:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal