Author Topic: Reintroduction.  (Read 5147 times)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
Reintroduction.
« on: September 23, 2018, 16:41:48 »
I think I should reintroduce myself. I've been a member of this forum since 2007 but it's been a long while since I was on here. Due to moving house to a different county I've been plotless for 6 years. We now have a large garden and the very first thing I did within a month of moving was to erect a 35x12 polly tunnel. The garden isn't great for growing veg so it's full of fruit trees, chickens and my bee hives.

I put my name down for an allotment but was told the site was earmarked for housing and was being relocated. Anyway, long story short, the local parish council acquired a previously arable field from a local farmer and created a brand new allotment site just a couple of hundred yards across the road from the original site, a 5 minute walk from my home. So I am now the proud tenant of virgin plot of land on a brand new site. Because it was previously arable and apart from the odd thistle or two along the edge it's been ploughed, tilled, prepared and is totally weed free. A far cry from my first two plots. All I have to do is mark out the beds and paths and then plant it. There's going to be a toilet block, kitchen and cooking facilities, lockers and a full CCTV sytem. Oh, and for some reason the first two years are rent free. Can't wait to get started.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Reintroduction.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 17:03:14 »
Sounds great.  I started on a new site.  It does not take  long for the weeds to get going.

I like the sound of a cctv system.  And toilets.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 17:09:57 »
Welcome back Plot!

A big garden and a new allotment, you are going to be busy.

I am cutting back from a similar position you are now in as I have had two allotments for nigh on thirty years and I am retiring from them at the end of the year to just concentrate on my garden.

Best of luck with your new venture!

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 17:20:48 »
Thank you both, two names I recognise. I used to have two 10 rod plots but this one is only 7.5 rod but it'll be enough for me. It's taken me 6 years to get the garden into shape. Tried growing veg for a couple of years but didn't have much luck, that's why I applied for a plot. I've taken an aerial video of the plot as it is now before I start it. Going to take another exactly the same every month until I have a 12 month aerial timelapse of it's progress through the year. Should be interesting.

And I bought myself a new Burgon and Ball heavy duty fork. As pristine as the plot is I'm sure there's got to be some digging involved.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 17:21:56 »
Lucky you! Enjoy your return to allotmenteering!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 20:28:27 »
Lucky you! Enjoy your return to allotmenteering!

Seconded!!!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 04:30:05 »
Welcome back Plot69!  What is the new plot number?  Moving to a different place is quite exciting.  Is the soil easy to work?  The new allotment site sounds very good indeed and I hope you will soon have a nice community going there.

The month by month pictures will be interesting.  :wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 07:39:40 »
What a wonderful situation, best wishes for your new plot! Nice to see you posting again.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 18:20:33 »
Welcome back Plot69
As a matter of interest did you get any Kiwi fruit in the end?
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 19:43:22 »
Thank you everyone. I did ask if there was a plot 69 and there was but it was a half plot not a full one. So plot 26 it is from now on. Soil is very easy digging and there's a story behind that. All the old chaps who got evicted from the previous site obviously got first choice of plots. They all chose to be together in the very first row by the gate and it's like concrete. I was told I'd need a pick axe. Anyway, long story short, I started digging and it was like butter. One of the old chaps on a plot by the gate stood watching me from a distance and then made his way over to me, took my fork and had a few digs with it, and wandered off muttering Monty Python quotes under his breath about how lucky I was. He was great about it, envious but very friendly. It seems they made the wrong choice. Not that I'm offering to swap or anything.

And no I didn't get my Kiwi to fruit, don't think I had enough time before we moved. Neither have I managed to find a copy of the BBC series The Big Dig with Simon Mayo. Still looking for that bit no joy. I will say one thing, all this digging was a lot easier when I was in my 30's.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 12:28:02 »
Maybe the  rain has helped.  I had a similar thing I spent months trying to dig my plots and then it rained and the  newcomers had it like butter.  I was gutted.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 14:35:03 »
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 18:00:34 »
Impressive.  Is that a drone filming?
Obxx - Vendée France

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 18:04:44 »
Yes, either that or a very long selfie stick.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 16:39:13 »
Had a little stroll around the plot today. Garlic is up, broad beans just beginning to pop through. Got the net over them just in time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYsLnCElXgA
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 21:38:11 »
How long has the garlic been in?  I only planted mine on Saturday and we're only just getting a bit of rain on it.
Obxx - Vendée France

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 10:01:24 »
Been in about a month. Had to water it for the first couple of weeks but it's plenty wet enough out now.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 10:17:51 »
Thanks.   We had 15mm last night which should be enough for the garlic to start.  Not enough to make it possible to get the deeper spring flower bubs in elsewhere tho.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal