Author Topic: Broad Beans in September??  (Read 1327 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Broad Beans in September??
« on: September 23, 2018, 12:09:07 »
Last week I bought a bag of broad beans in their pods from M&S. They tasted lovely and I assumed they were from abroad but on the bag it says they were from Herefordshire.
How do they manage to do that? I always regard broad beans as cool weather veg that usually gets harvested at the latest sometime in June or maybe July.
Anyone tried to grow them to harvest in the Autumn?

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: Broad Beans in September??
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 12:13:35 »
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 15:36:41 »
Now that's a good idea. Must get them for next year. We love our broad beans!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 18:42:28 »
I have always carried out successional showings with lots of my stuff particularly if they are hybrids.

As a general rule some hybrids were designed to grow within a given time for the benefit of commercial growers so that they can harvest their crop in one go, unlike the amateur gardener who generally wants to harvests over a longer period.

I do not do successive crops of broad beans but I do with French beans, plus I do it with Calabrese & Cauliflower. I am currently picking 2nd crop Calabrese,I picked 3 today and gave one each to my son and daughter and we will have the 3rd.

So the point of my reply is I see no reason why you cannot do this with Broad beans.

I hope you find that food for thought!

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 08:00:30 »
I have been told ( I don't know if it's reliable or not!) that a lot of supermarket fruit and veg is kept in cold store for a very long time.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 09:10:03 »
I have been told ( I don't know if it's reliable or not!) that a lot of supermarket fruit and veg is kept in cold store for a very long time.

I think you will find this is correct, with the right equipment, ambient atmosphere( gasses such as nitrogen), and crop picked at its best stage (Brix scale), most produce can be stored if market conditions require it. This does not equate to 'newly picked, nutrient dense or flavoursome' as your home grown crop is, but 'appearance maintained, marketable,' and possibly ,premium priced ,if out of season.
See: https://cvp.cce.cornell.edu/submission.php?id=411
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal