Author Topic: ....and there it was gone!  (Read 2176 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
....and there it was gone!
« on: September 22, 2018, 14:34:32 »
As some of you may know my current programme in preparation for me retiring from "allotmenteering" is to rearrange my garden at home.

Here is the result of yesterday's work when the Junipers were removed to expose my tatty old fence which I have never seen for around 25 years.

This morning I fitted new rails  to my knee high fence. ( the fence at the back is my neighbours work)

The next good day I will attempt to remove the Juniper roots which is not essential as these would be covered when I plant various shrubs taken from my herbaceous border in the back garden. However if I can remove them it will help me to put my shrubs where I want them rather than fitting them in around existing roots.

So it is all systems go!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: ....and there it was gone!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 16:06:09 »
Sounds like mattock time for those roots.  Good luck.

Amazing how much more light and space there is now.  I hope you're pleased.
Obxx - Vendée France

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 16:51:28 »
Wow,what a difference! Looking forward to seeing the new plants in. Sounds like you deserve a rest before tackling those roots!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 07:50:13 »
Yes, the difference is striking.  How exactly did you just 'remove' them?  That looks like a very difficult job.  These were tall and heavy. 

We recently removed a dead tree and it was a massive job between the two of us.  Guying with ropes, then sawing off the branches (OH with a hand saw) and hoping they would come down in the right place with me hanging on the guy ropes and pulling in the right direction trying not to get clobbered as they crashed down, and then finally tackling the stem.  I admire your energy and skill and the result is certainly something to behold!  So much more light and space.  :wave:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 14:36:27 »
How exactly did you just 'remove' them?

I got a " Jack of all Trades" in and he cut them down with a chainsaw then shredded them with his shredder into a trailer and took it all away. Well worth the £10 per tree (£80 total) He even offered me a reduction because I helped him to clear up but I just couldn't stand around looking at him clearing up on his own, plus the fact it looked as if it was going to rain so I wanted to be done and dusted before it did!

Sounds like mattock time for those roots.

I used a mixture of tools and now have 5 out with 3 to go (see pics)

I have also managed to salvage enough timber to erect my fence. OK it looks a bit tatty but once I get the shrubs planted out in front of it there will not be much of to see.

Sounds like you deserve a rest before tackling those roots!

I don't know about resting  'before' but I certainly do after getting these 5 out.

I am now 'cream-crackered' hence me being on my computer rather than taking the other 3 out today.

They have been in around 25 years so another day is not hurt them!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 15:04:59 »
Glad you had help TeeGee.  The difference is enormous.  :wave:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 17:59:00 »
We paid extra to some tree surgeons to tell and grind the stumps out of our old and diseased lilacs last year, it was worth it to be able to put up a high trellis straightaway and plant it up. I would still be digging the roots out now otherwise!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal