Author Topic: Liquid (rainwater?) coming out of squash  (Read 1219 times)

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
Liquid (rainwater?) coming out of squash
« on: September 21, 2018, 18:09:12 »
Harvested a couple of Crown Prince squash today after the storms brought down the bean frame onto the squash bed.  Dried off and placed on kitchen window- a couple of hours later I picked it up and there was water underneath- it might have come from a tiny crack in the bottom of the squash- I guess that this one won't store well and needs to be used up first?

Thanks.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Liquid (rainwater?) coming out of squash
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 18:23:52 »
I am going to have a guess and suggest the moisture seeped out from the point where you cut the squash off the plant. When squashes ripen this connection gets dry but when unripe a lot of sap can exude from the cut. You would need to damage the skin quite badly for it to emerge from the body of the squash.

Just a guess tho. On second thoughts, maybe condensation if the squash was colder than your kitchen?
Not mad, just out to mulch!

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 19:39:04 »
I am going to have a guess and suggest the moisture seeped out from the point where you cut the squash off the plant.

You are absolutely correct.  On a second look, it is clear that there is fluid going out of the stem down the side of the squash.  Thanks for the info.

Dr. John

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 22:25:40 »
I am going to have a guess and suggest the moisture seeped out from the point where you cut the squash off the plant.

You are absolutely correct.  On a second look, it is clear that there is fluid going out of the stem down the side of the squash.  Thanks for the info.

Dr. John

And that would suggest it might store after all once the stem has dried.  Good luck  :wave:

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 21:15:23 »
Ooh I was going to post about this. I have a harvested a real glut of squashes. They’ve been brilliant as cover over black membrane while I’m trying to get my new allotment under control. The recent high winds finished off the foliage so I picked them all and they’re now hopefully keeping warm enough in the greenhouse.

There were a few that weren’t ripe and like Dr John, mine were leaking water.  So how likely is it they I’ll ripen and harden and/or are they likely to be tasty to eat now?

Sorry for high jacking the thread but hopefully it’s on the same theme....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal