Author Topic: Fruit bushes nets - not urgent  (Read 1869 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Fruit bushes nets - not urgent
« on: September 20, 2018, 11:54:03 »
Where is a good place to buy this from and what price should it be?
Any tips on a) putting it on round some bushes together and b) one standard?
Do I just put it on a few weeks before harvest and take it off afterwards?
Also how do I stop birds from getting trapped?

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
Re: Fruit bushes nets - not urgent
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 18:56:17 »
ght some debris netting from this company - http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/acatalog/Debris-Netting.html - about 18 months or so ago.   The quality is very good and delivery was quick.   A chap on the same allotment site also bought some on my recommendation and he was just as pleased as me.

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 18:59:06 »
My post should have started - I bought some debris netting.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 19:02:58 »
If you are looking for very long lasting and effective netting, consider Henry Cowells knotted sparrow netting. It is extremely well made from UV stabilized polyethylene with 14 kg breaking strain thread. It is expensive but in my view is better value for money than cheaper nets that need replacing after only a few seasons use. I used this to cover my fruit cage and have never had a single instance of birds getting entangled.

Generally birds seem to get entangled when netting is made of fine threads or materials, especially if the mesh size is just a little too big to be effective. A mesh size of 19 mm is best for birds as small as sparrows, but allows pollinating insects easy access, although pollination may not be an issue if you only intend to cover for limited periods.

At the other end of the scale I know a plot holder who makes use of old net curtains just draped over bushes and pegged down for a few weeks at the appropriate time of year. I suppose it is horses for courses really.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 20:11:25 »
I agree with Beersmith although I think Cowels are a bit expensive do a 'google' for 'bird netting'

I use a knitted variety rather than the single strand stuff which is generally rubbish and tangles very easily whereas the knitted variety doesn't it wraps up like a blanket and lasts for years.

https://www.gardening-naturally.com/anti-bird-netting seems reliable.

One tip I would give is to order a width that is a bit wider than your hoops so that it rests on the soil when in place then it can be pegged in, or weighted down with bricks.

This method stops other pests such as cats getting under the netting,plus the birds can't walk under it either.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 21:44:42 »
I was gutted to find the birds savaged my red currants while they were still green.  I had not thought they needed netting.  I find a problem with the wind blowing the netting off.  Cannot seem to find a way to make it bird proof as well as deer proof.

I will try debris netting it is heavier so not so much movement in the wind.  I shall put it on as soon as the bees have done their biz.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 21:17:44 »
Hi. I use debris netting and laundry pegs to keep it taut. I sort of wrap it at the bottom so the birdscan’t get in at all

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 08:53:29 »
Hi. I use debris netting and laundry pegs to keep it taut. I sort of wrap it at the bottom so the birdscan’t get in at all
Thanks for that, where did you buy it from?

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 10:12:51 »
I got it from eBay but a long time ago so cant remember the seller. Other people here may have recommendations which would be useful. I brought two different lots and they were certainly of very different quality, the second being pretty useless.  Good quality stuff is great though for covering beds where you want to keep the birds off, so its worth buying wide netting. I used to use it for brassicas, but since we started getting the diamond moth, I now use proper insect mesh as the holes in the debris netting allow the moth through.

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 12:40:44 »
I got mine from Scaffolding Direct http://www.scaffolding-direct.co.uk/

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 14:22:00 »
There are shed loads of places to buy mesh. I got mine from Nutleys. Not the cheapest, but mine is now 3 years old and going strong. Service is good too. I ordered by email. Did not receive a reply and the next morning was going to ring to see where my confirmation was. Doorbell rang, it was the postman with the nets.

Cost depends on width and length. I have an old frame tent which I have covered in mesh for the soft friut. I can walk in. Where the mesh joins I close with those kitchen bag clips like a clothes peg. You will need to sort out if you are using a frame and measure up. Mesh is sold by the metre as stretched out, so when you get it it may look 2 meters but will strech to 5 metres.

Good luck with it, we did well this year and no birds trapped.    :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal