Author Topic: Chillies  (Read 3587 times)

Tralfamadorean

• Not So New ...
Chillies
« on: September 14, 2018, 17:41:06 »
Have grown Orange Habenaros, Scotch Bonnet, and Trinidadian Scorpion chillies this year using the Quadgrow (Chilligrow) system this year. superb results with both quantity and quality (weather has helped no doubt). I am aiming at the Carolina Reaper next season, although there are strong rumours of some new varieties of exceptional heat being available quite soon. :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Chillies
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 20:25:57 »
You must enjoy a very spicy diet!!

I grow hot chillies only about one year in every three or four. A good crop of small but hot chillies preserved by freezing or sometimes drying provides ample to cook a curry, or a con carne or maybe a chilli ramen once or twice each month for ages.

If you eat chilli often do you need more and more to give you the same hit? Good grief! Is it addictive?
Not mad, just out to mulch!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Chillies
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 08:54:14 »
Your sensitivity to chilli heat does decline.  I was eating a chicken dinner at work with a mate who declared it spicey as heck.  I couldn't detect any heat at all.
I must admit though that when i grew reapers I struggled to find something to do with them. Too hot for me even in small quantities.  I  ended up with liters of chilli oil and sauce!

I had a party and my God Daughter asked if she could eat a reaper.  I said NO bu I would cut one in half and if she could lick it and was fine then she could do what she wanted.
She licked it and spent half an hour drinking milk and ended up sitting in the bathroom over the sink.  Her mum then did the same thing.  Fun times.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal