Author Topic: Excited  (Read 1766 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Excited
« on: September 12, 2018, 08:33:09 »
So excited after last two years poor brussle sprouts, cabbages and pak choi i have two beds now packed with glorious veg !! Only thing i did differently was to cover in  netting earlier :)

As yet all the plants are below the blue hoops on the beds but thats going to change shortly does anyone know if i need to remove the netting or would just leaving it on the plants would that be ok? Its not very fine stuff just standard garden net.

I have lots of pak choi probably enough to do me till christmas will it last in the ground for a while?

Also found a butternut squash in the garden growing on what i thought was a dead plant as yet its a creamy white which is going yellow when do i harvest that?? Its probably the size of a small football at the moment. Far to scared to check it for damage though :)

thanks

cam

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Excited
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 08:41:56 »
Peronally I would leave the netting on brassicas.  I had the blue debris netting over mine last year and when the plants got too large they simply pushed the netting up.

The leaves of squashes start to die back so the sun I presume this is to allow the sun through to ripen the fruit.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 08:53:02 »
I would lift the squash up and check it underneath.  If it is intact, leave it for a bit longer, if not, it looks like there is a lot that can be had for food now.  You wouldn't want to lose even half of it now it has come this far. 

And congratulations on the brassica.  Can't say whether pak choi will keep, but at worst they will start to flower,  They are still useable when this happens.  If we have a cool autumn, there isn't much chance of flowering.  :wave:

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 10:09:48 »
Hi Ya, I would leave it in place and let the veg push it up as a bit of protection. As it's ordinary net you may get some pigeon damage as it grows but should not effect the hearts. I use a fine weave fleece as we have a big problem with white fly and debris netting does not keep them out. Still enjoy your reward and results of your work.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 18:22:57 »
I grow my brassicas under butterfly mesh. It also prevents pigeon damage. But in all honesty it is not a perfect solution. I am sure I  get slightly more problems with white fly and flea beetle than when grown without coverings.

On balance I'd leave the covers on. While butterflies are getting less common at this time of year, around here pigeons can flatten brassicas in double quick time. If pigeons are not a problem in your area you could risk uncovering. Not an easy choice!!

PS Despite the drought it seems to have been an excellent year for squashes. I've got crown prince, butternuts and some "honey bear" all producing in prolific numbers. The great thing about squashes is that given a degree of care, they keep for ages. Once ripened, I hang mine in net bags at the back of the garage. I usually have some still in good condition as late as the following May.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 20:07:05 »
My covers of debris netting will be left on. i have noticed that all crops seem to do better under it. Presumably it creates a micro climate, and a few degrees more warmth with wind break extends the growing season. I have noticed that a few brassicaes have got/had little caterpillars which I suspect are of moth species. Some are 10mm long and green, others mottled 12mm long. Being smaller, they don't eat very much and there are only a few.Regarding white fly, the yellow sticky strips used for greenhouses work, as they also do for flea beetle. Take a fruit squash bottle, or similar, cut out the label and stick the strip into the bottle. Upend onto a cane* via the neck. This gives enough weather protection.
* Length to place strip at the correct height above the ground-guide  whitefly 200mm, flea beetle less, 100mm? 
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 10:18:40 »
Thanks all will leave the netting on especially as i seam to still have cabbage white butterfly about and the odd dragon fly, now the slug pellets are down things seam better but think i have perhapse planted things to close together now but as i had expected half the crops to fail hardly surprising :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 16:19:39 »
I would suggest that you do not have the netting too tights so that the plants can grow if necessary, if the leaves are tight against the netting the critters can poke through at it.

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 16:53:58 »
Yes I would definitely leave the netting on otherwise those pigeons will get them all! I did get a lot of whitefly last year, but the crops seemed to be ok after washing. My purple sprouting were vandalised by the pigeons so they are all covered up this year!
Located in Royston, North Herts.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 08:38:26 »
Definitely leave the netting on.  As autumn progresses in to winter, the animals become hungrier, and your vegetables become the sweetest, most nutritious food available to them as the grass and weeds die back. 

Things like brussels sprouts and purple sprouting often end up pushing at the top of my nets.  Sometimes this can make the leaves go a bit mucky at that point, but the rest of the plant will be OK.

Without the net and hoop system on my allotment site, I doubt I'd get very much of a harvest at all!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal