Author Topic: Greenhouse TOMATOES  (Read 2782 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Greenhouse TOMATOES
« on: September 10, 2018, 17:38:43 »
For the first time in 50 years, nearly all my 20 plants have gone curly.

In Growbags in a cold house. Watered daily with dilute 2.1.4.

?? Tim

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Greenhouse TOMATOES
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 22:48:53 »
There's a lot of foliage on them still Tim, I'm guessing all those leaves are struggling to keep up with the variance in day/ night temperatures? We've gone from really high day temps to more moderate days but quite cool nights, perhaps a bit of selective defoliation might help the remaining plants?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 11:31:08 »
All ours in the cold greenhouse have also gone curly this year.  I wondered if I should have whitewashed the glass due to the heat.  Had a lot of splits too due to panic watering.  On hte bright side the Oxhearts, Rainbow, Banana Legs, Green Zebra, Abraham Lincoln and Costoluto I grew outside straight into the plot ( OK with some added horse manure and liquid feed weekly), have done brilliantly well with minimal curl on only 1 plant.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 17:07:04 »
Thanks - Difficult, Deb, because virtually all lives on every plant have gone this way - and from very early on. I tend to favour Clanger's idea of super heat. Although we did have netting shade for a bit.

And very many plants have had trusses green right up to the top before more than one or two have ripened.. Very strange!

Maybe the real problem is age - I'm not quite as methodical these days. And when I said WATERED EVERY DAY, I was really meaning INTENTION?

XX

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 17:23:48 »
Watering has certainly been a challenge this year for indoor toms, there has been a fair bit of 'panic watering' too (sometimes in complete darkness), good word for it! My outdoor bush tomatoes perversely have done wonderfully well despite suffering more irregular watering and feeding.....having that extra root run seems to make the difference when coping with extremes of temperature. You can bet next year of course will be completely different!😁
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 20:57:26 »
We've had temps up in the mid 40s outside in the July heatwave and very little rain since mid June so watering plants outside and in the polytunnel has been a challenge.   We've had split skins and blossom end rot and lots of tomatoes staying green for ages but also others ripening in succession so manageable - I planted far too many in my excitement to try a variety of heritage toms.  We've had loads of luscious tomatoes and great flavours.

On GW on Friday, dear old Monty discussed tomato problems this year and said excess heat slows ripening of toms which I didn't know.  Never been a problem before.

Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal