Author Topic: Recommendations for a wedding gift  (Read 1808 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Recommendations for a wedding gift
« on: September 10, 2018, 14:01:33 »
My son is getting married on 29th September and I'd like to get them a plant to mark the occasion. What would you recommend? It would ideally be good for a pot, as they currently only have grass and gravel, be in flower at the time of the wedding and have interest for the rest of the year. I'll probably have to order it mail order as I won't be able to carry it on the train. And if possible something appropriately named, but that's not such a priority.Hope that's not asking too much!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Recommendations for a wedding gift
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 17:34:58 »
You could have a look in here for September / October

http://www.flowers.org.uk/flowers/flowers-by-month/september/

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 22:29:03 »
Plenty of roses still flowering in September and later so check out the David Austin sites and maybe Peter Beale and Harkness for a good repeat shrub rose that has a suitable colour, perfume and maybe even a good name.  The DA site includes info on roses for pots too.
Obxx - Vendée France

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 23:57:46 »
I know you want to take them a flowering plant, but do you know their likes and preferences?  Maybe just ask what they would like, although I also agree that a rose is a pretty safe bet.  If in doubt and definitely to their liking would be a catalogue and a voucher or money for them to choose.  They may be into an apple tree or a flowering cherry or perhaps a rose, but it will be the right one for them.

Have a very special day all of you and congratulations to the young couple!  :wave:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 23:59:28 by galina »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 18:12:32 »
Can we have some details of their soil.   Roses can be fussy, they do not grow well here.

If they just have a lawn and some gravel do they actually like gardening.   

What about lavender.    What about a jasmine, the flowers are supposed to symbolise love.

Are they off on a honeymoon?   They will not  have time to plant or care for it.   

Why not ask them what they would like?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 18:41:12 »
I've no idea what their soil is like, which is why I said it'd probably be best in a pot, also so that they don't need to do anything with it before the wedding.My son enjoyed tending the little garden at their previous, rented flat and they want to get some beds built but haven't had much time. They've got quite a few pots already, including a lavender, and  I'd prefer it to be a surprise. :happy7:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal