Author Topic: spring greens  (Read 1339 times)

ACE

• Hectare
spring greens
« on: September 06, 2018, 08:04:59 »
Put some Durham early in yesterday, what a job to find seeds, I got the last packet in The Range after I fought my way through the xmas display, they should be poking through by the time I get back. Do people still grow spring greens? I have not bothered before but the pickings from my new plot are going to be a bit lean next spring.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: spring greens
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 08:30:05 »
Yes, as part of the 'No-dig for victory'/Brexit policy.
 It remains a constant frustration that retailers do not bother to stock the 'Autumn collection' for seeds. Tried to get some chinese cabbage 2 weeks ago to replace non germinating old stock-not achance .Barely worth postage from online.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 12:30:50 »
I also had trouble getting seeds of spring cabbage.  After trawling around I eventually found a local garden shop that I thought only stocked "nice" things (oak tables, flowers and ornaments) and found that it was a vegetable gardeners dream come true ( a cave at the back of the place that few ever trod!!).  So I will be going to them in future.  The plants are nearly ready to go in.

So don't give up they are out there somewhere!!

Bill

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 13:47:18 »
Thanks - that reminds me that I've not sown mine yet - Durham Early, as it happens, which I bought direct from DT Brown. I order my spring green seeds each Autumn with most of my other seeds. I've grown Pixie for the last few seasons but couldn't find those in the catalogues last year.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 21:02:01 »
I have always used Offenham. Sown now for greens, but if sown a bit earlier they will tend to get a bit of a heart surprisingly early. I try not to get too attached to any specific varieties. It almost seems guaranteed that once you do, it will disappear from the catalogus.

My favourite courgettes are Parador but every year they get harder to find. I'll probably have to find an alternative soon. But hey, plenty to choose from.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 12:01:19 »
I managed to get some in Wyevale for 50p!!  I sowed some half price ones a few weeks ago and they were zapped by the flea beetles so I was pleased to get a bargain replacement.  They are just coming through.  Seems planting early is a bad idea.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal