Author Topic: Garlic Czechmate  (Read 2525 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Garlic Czechmate
« on: September 05, 2018, 19:56:36 »
Hi

As my garlic bolted or was tiny i have decided to try something different and this garlic from D T Brown Seeds peeked my intrest

"New and exclusive for autumn 2018, Czechmate is an exotic hardneck garlic originating from Moravia in the Czech Republic. Trialled and bred by the team from the world renowned Garlic Farm on the Isle of Wight, it’s an autumn planting variety which is best planted in October but before January at the latest.

Czechmate develops a glazed purple skin which thinly veils a beautifully striped purple bulb underneath, containing perfectly formed large, plump purple cloves packed tightly around a hardneck stem. Hot and spicy, it delivers a stronger flavour than most other UK garlics and has pronounced heat which is excellent for creating full flavoured dishes, an essential ingredient for Asian and Mediterranean cuisine. A vigorous variety, it has intermediate rust resistance."

Any other recomendations?

Cam

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: Garlic Czechmate
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 21:11:11 »
I saw that and thought it looked good. However, my experience of buying garlic from the big suppliers has not been good over the years.

The variety that (usually) does well for me is Sprint which I buy from Tamar Organics.

Let us know how your crop goes because it ticks a lot of boxes for me.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 21:23:25 »
thanks will do i am hoping that as its a new crop the quality might be better

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 09:53:44 »
The same supplier had a variety which looks the same called Moravian Giant a few years ago ... it didn't do that well for me.  I hope this isn't just another case of renaming varieties in the hope that it boosts sales ... it makes it very hard to keep track.

On another note ... I have had white rot develop on garlic that was bought from The Garlic Farm even though it was grown in containers ... that combined with some of their appalling business practices I was told about on this forum and subsequently read up about means I do not wish to ever give them my money again.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 18:57:44 »
I see DT brown is selling it
http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/Onions-Garlic-1/Hardneck_2/Garlic-Czech-Mate.html

I am always looking for new varieties and this does sound the sort of thing I would enjoy.  However I too am not impressed with The Garlic Farm - their prices are not good!

Marco used to do well for me but I seem to have lost the knack of growing good garlic..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 19:26:29 »
i have to say i was given a gift of garlic from said company and it was awful and had no flavour so would not buy any myself.

never heard of morovian giant but sounds like an elephant type and i think this is more a standard size :) well i hope so :)

I have tried about 4 or 5 variaties and the cloves tend to be tiny so then tried regrowing the following year and not much bigger.

I am contemplating ordering these from DT brown as well as some of there shallots am starting onions off next week from seed (walla walla and another variaty i cant off the top of my head remember) have some smashing onions in at the moment which i grew from seed which have grown larger than the sets i bought which bolted :(

When i say start them off its finding the trays and filling them and leaving them in the greenhouse ready :) and making sure no weeds germinate in the trays expect i will start them Jan time ish
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 19:40:40 by cambourne7 »

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 09:49:10 »
I grew Moravian giant ... it wasn't an Elephant Garlic, just a normal hardneck type with fairly big cloves (but fewer of them per bulb) ... it was quite a nice fiery one as I remember.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 13:06:09 »
am starting onions off next week from seed (walla walla and another variaty i cant off the top of my head remember) have some smashing onions in at the moment which i grew from seed which have grown larger than the sets i bought which bolted :(

When i say start them off its finding the trays and filling them and leaving them in the greenhouse ready :) and making sure no weeds germinate in the trays expect i will start them Jan time ish

Are you sowing onion seed in trays now?  I have never done any at this time of year but have some walla seeds which I never planted.  Can I just sow in trays and leave them in the ploy over winter?
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 16:11:41 »
You can't really start onions off from seeds now ... you should wait until Jan like cambourne says ... you can go a month or two earlier if you're using grow lights - that's what the competition onion growers do ... but without lights they'll just stall or go leggy and be more likely to bolt.

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 07:46:30 »
I am not a hardneck lover as they do not seem to keep as well as softneck. This year has been one of the best years that I have had with garlic what with the hot summer and early frosts. I have grown Early Purple White, Elephant, Vallelado and Iberian all from my own seed. I keep the biggest bulbs for setting at the end of October. I have this years seed stored at the top of the garage waiting for that time the ones my wife is using are stored in mushroom trays in the greenhouse. I set between 150 to 200 cloves in a micromesh tunnel as we are plagued with Alium Leaf Miner. I occasionally buy a couple of new bulbs but I begrudge the price the suppliers charge for just run of the mill bulbs my saved stock are much bigger.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 13:50:36 »
Interesting the remark about Marco, that used to be my favourite variety that was consistently good, but has also not done well for me the past three years. I'm also on the look out for a new garlic, I was thinking of trying some of the Franchi ones this year....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal