Author Topic: Late French Beans  (Read 1527 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
Late French Beans
« on: September 04, 2018, 19:10:01 »
I don't know why I sowed French Beans two weeks ago two per toilet roll tube but they all came up.It must have been optimism from the tropical summer we have had (even here in County Durham). I have an unheated greenhouse. Has anyone out there succeeded with French beans this late in the year?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Late French Beans
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 19:31:06 »
If they are in the greenhouse, well who knows.  Better give them a chance and losing them than losing out if they can make it.  If they are short ones they will produce quicker than climbing.  Good luck  :wave:

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 11:12:07 »
I was late in planting my beans this year and whilst everyone else in the village was enjoying theirs, mine were still in pots.  However, I am reaping the benefit now as the village people's beans have all finished and I have hundreds.  Many still have flowers and the bees are loving them.  I have been putting many of the beans on the village produce table where proceeds go to cancer research.  They are selling very quickly.  Next year I have decided to stagger my planting so I can have fresh beans for a longer period. 

I have never grown any beans in the greenhouse though I always start mine off in there.  I would be interested to know how you get on with yours as it could extend the growing period even more.  The problems I see are that you would need to leave the door open during the day for the bees to get in and this would lower the temperature.  It may be beneficial to put fleece over the beans at night when temperatures start dropping.  Good luck!

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 13:33:24 »
I was late in planting my beans this year and whilst everyone else in the village was enjoying theirs, mine were still in pots.  However, I am reaping the benefit now as the village people's beans have all finished and I have hundreds.  Many still have flowers and the bees are loving them.  I have been putting many of the beans on the village produce table where proceeds go to cancer research.  They are selling very quickly.  Next year I have decided to stagger my planting so I can have fresh beans for a longer period. 

I have never grown any beans in the greenhouse though I always start mine off in there.  I would be interested to know how you get on with yours as it could extend the growing period even more.  The problems I see are that you would need to leave the door open during the day for the bees to get in and this would lower the temperature.  It may be beneficial to put fleece over the beans at night when temperatures start dropping.  Good luck!
Yes, successional sowing is a good idea but I don't usually get around to it. I like the idea of a village produce table. I live in a tiny village so we tend to just pass stuff around. I have lots of apples and pears in storage and didn't grow any of them!
I have just returned from a two week holiday so had to put everything outside to get watered rather than trouble neighbours but after scraping ice off the windscreen this morning I had better get them in again quick!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 10:46:25 »
Beans under cover are at risk of spidermite.  I've not tried them at this end of the season but when I tried to get an early crop they were covered in days.

Spraying them regularly with water works well, but the key advice is don't do it if there are tomatoes under the same cover.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 13:53:51 »
Beans under cover are at risk of spidermite.  I've not tried them at this end of the season but when I tried to get an early crop they were covered in days.

Spraying them regularly with water works well, but the key advice is don't do it if there are tomatoes under the same cover.

Cheers.
Thanks for that Vinlander. Spidermite not a problem in my GH and no tomatoes in there either but I will keep an eye out for them just the same. I think the weather will be a big factor. A warm October would make allthe difference.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal