Author Topic: Pumpkins & Winter Squash  (Read 1526 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Pumpkins & Winter Squash
« on: September 03, 2018, 17:27:11 »
Me again needing guidance. I have grown pumpkins for Halloween for my daughter and grandson. When is the best time to harvest  them to ensure they are ready for Halloween? I have grown white and yellow ones.

Also growing  "hoochie coochie kuri"  and "fairytale pumpkins". Will they be ready soon?

:blob7:  :blob7:  :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Re: Pumpkins & Winter Squash
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 17:51:19 »
The main problem with pumpkins is that they have a quite thin rind so the longer you leave them sitting on wet soil the greater the risk of rot from below. What appears to be a smashing specimen is anything but once cut from the plant. I'm not saying yours are but this is what I have seen.

So if they are simply for decoration cut them early as long as they are fully coloured, say mid to late September then store until needed. If they are not fully coloured wait until they are.

My hoochie coochie kuri also known as Uchiki Kuri are almost ready. The vines are already dying back. They are ninety day planting to harvesting so pretty early. However leaving them to ripen further results in denser flesh and longer keeping. I often pick off one at a time leaving the rest to harvest in mid October along with all the other squash I grow.:happy7:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 17:54:28 by ed dibbles »

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Re: Pumpkins & Winter Squash
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 19:49:39 »
Thanks for that. I've little experience of squashes and I did not want to harvest too early     :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal