Author Topic: Spring Cleaning  (Read 1300 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Spring Cleaning
« on: August 29, 2018, 14:02:46 »
As I have mentioned elsewhere on the forum I am renovating parts of my garden in preparation when I give up my allotment at the end of the year.

Where better a place to start than in  my "grot spot" which was getting even more "grotty" by the day!

The shelves and their supports were rotting, I had hundreds of pots ,trays and things that I have accumulated over the years that wanted sorting out.

Why is it round plant pots are all different when it comes to stacking them, whereas square pots seem to fit  into each other quite well. If a pot is classified as a 3",4" or 5" why are they not?

Well I have now got rid of possibly a hundred or more of those that are of a rogue size, which oddly enough, according to the tip attendant, are not recyclable when I took 4 large compost bags of " my rubbish" to the tip.

I have attached a couple of pictures of my ' grot spot' renovations which are not quite complete! I think I will have another cull in the spring when I know how I am going to go on and I know what I want /need. Once I establish that I will most likely make another clear out!

My problem now will be: I will be asking myself " now where did I put this and where I did I put that" whereas before when it was a tip I could lay my hands on most anything!.....the mind boggles!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Spring Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 15:42:22 »
Our local garden centre have a pot recycling area. 

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 16:17:51 »
I will watch your transition with interest Tee Gee as I will have to do do the same in the near future. Our allotment site will be used for housing one day in the near future. I will be growing veg at home. In containers and small raised beds!
Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 16:49:35 »
I had a clear up of my old allotment shed ready for the new plot holder, 5 or 6 barrowloads of pots spare tools and general garden junk. I left it in the 'swopsy' area and took a bag of apples in exchange. All taken by people who think 'that will come in handy one day'. We all know you will only find a use for it a couple of days after you get rid of it.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 08:37:37 »
I have decided to use clay pots on future as i really like them and have lots.
Trying to get homes for the huge amount of plastic pots has been a challenge. Loads are what I have been given by other people doing the same thing, then I carefully washed and stacked them only to find one day how many I have stashed away.
So far the community garden has taken some and a few on Freecycle.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal