Allotment Stuff > The Basics

No feed allotmenting

(1/3) > >>

Digeroo:
I am fed up with people who come do not feed their crops, exhaust their soil, throw their weeds into the hedge or the council recycling, complain nothing will grow and then B***er off complaining nothing will grow.  The ground is left pale and stony.   

They even think I was lucky not to get any stones.  I was not lucky the first metre or so of my plot was pure natural gravel with a scrape of soil on top.    I have worked hard to improve the soil.

As Darwin predicted the worms have worked their magic and the stones have gradually sunk, apart from flints which rise to the top.

ancellsfarmer:

--- Quote from: Digeroo on August 27, 2018, 18:01:14 ---I am fed up with people who come do not feed their crops, exhaust their soil, throw their weeds into the hedge or the council recycling, complain nothing will grow and then B***er off complaining nothing will grow.  The ground is left pale and stony.   

They even think I was lucky not to get any stones.  I was not lucky the first metre or so of my plot was pure natural gravel with a scrape of soil on top.    I have worked hard to improve the soil.

As Darwin predicted the worms have worked their magic and the stones have gradually sunk, apart from flints which rise to the top.

--- End quote ---
I agree . It never ceases to amaze that they somehow miss the link between fertility and productive output. Sure, its not all 'muck & magic', but a good mulching seems to provide the mainstay of soil nutrition. Sadly, very few know of the processes which enable their survival. With such levels of ignorance of the general public, one can only assume its natural selection in progress, another Darwinian strength!
Perhaps a basic knowledge test should precede every allotment letting, in most parts there remains a backlog of prospective plotters. I recall that its stated in 2014 as 800,000 nationally (https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201415/ldhansrd/text/141203-0001.htm), 52% of the existing allotments.

squeezyjohn:
The very idea that you can continue to take 'free' produce away from your allotment without feeding the soil that produces it is absolutely ridiculous!  The gardening equivalent of imagining you can make a perpetual motion machine.  (pssst ... you can't)

Digeroo:
The biggest problem is that they spread the 'nothing will grow' myth about the town and as they leave no one wants to take their places.  We have so many empty plots now and I am worried that they farmer will give up.   
Some of the plots are as much as four to six inches below the level of the paths were the soil have been depleted.   
When we arrived the plots had had years as a meadow and then months with pigs, it grew anything.  Now plot after plot is just a weedy desert covered in stones.   
Mind you growing your own might become very popular again after Brexit.

ancellsfarmer:
Yup!,
No-dig for victory/freedom!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version