Author Topic: TEE GEE,S APPLE CAKE  (Read 2430 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
TEE GEE,S APPLE CAKE
« on: August 24, 2018, 13:53:43 »
Well TG said there wasn't a Pudding last night...........so here it is.

a day late................

Woke up this morning, and fancied a bit of baking like my Dad used to back in the day
 And as we have a Glut of Eating Apples,it was 60,s Radio in the background to keep me entertained
 While I got busy……………..

INGREDIENTS

1 ½ lbs Eating Apples
 Fine Grated Rind and Juice of 1 Lemon
 4 Eggs
 5oz Caster Sugar
 5oz Plain Flour
 1 tsp Baking Powder
 Pinch of Salt
 4 oz of Good Quality Butter, Melted and Cooled
 Vanilla Sugar for Sprinkling (optional)
 Fine Pared Strips of Orange and Lemon Rind to decorate
 Whipped Mascarpone Cheese to serve/ or cream
 Sliced Apple Slices
 Pinch Of Cinnamon

So lets get busy……………………

Preheat the oven to 180 c / 350 f ,Brush a Springform tin with melted Butter and cover the base with Parchment Paper.

Quarter Core,Peel and Thinly Slice the Apples and place them in a bowl and pour over the Lemon Juice.

Put the Eggs Sugar and Lemon Rind in a Bowl,and whisk the mixture till its thick and Mousse like,the whisks should leave a trail to indicate when its done.

Sift Half the Flour,all the baking powder and the salt over the egg Mousse,then fold in gentl with a metal spoon,slowly drizzle in the melted butter from the side of the bowl and fold it in gently with the spoon.

Sift over the remaining flour and fold it in gently then add the apples and fold in to.

Spread the mixture into the baking tin and level off.

What’s that a Picture of me licking the spoon…….cooks Freeby.

Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean, remove from the tin and let cool on a wire rack.

Sprinkle with Vanilla sugar if using.

Decorate with Citrus Rind and serve with Mascarpone or Cream more apple slices and a shake of Cinnamon.

Afternoon delight with a Lovely Slice of Apple Cake ….. Delish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...The rest went to Mum and her  friends in the care home for something yummy to munch on.

Enjoy

OUT OF INTEREST IF I USED OUR COOKER APPLES HOW MUCH EXTRA SUGAR WOULD YOU FOLKS USE ON THEM AS I DID THINK OF USING THEM TODAY BUT WAS WORRIED THE FLAVOUR WOULD BE TOO TART................

Gazza

peanuts

• Hectare
Re: TEE GEE,S APPLE CAKE
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 07:01:54 »
Love it, Gazza!  As always you inspire many of us, I'm sure.  A question - how do you manage to take so many beautiful photos without getting messy fingers all over the lens - of do you just lick them first every time?

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 10:08:22 »
Cheers Peanuts..........well you don't think me in a kitchen doesn't have its bonuses...I would have thought the picture of me licking the spoon says it all...........and if jude walks in and sees me abusing yet another decent camera....there's trouble lurking....ive killed 2 already by leaving them in puddles of sauce/soup/stew/and Christ knows what......... :tongue3:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 14:36:05 »
8 àr 9 inch tin?  20cm or 23cms in new money.
Obxx - Vendée France

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 16:42:53 »
And well-timed, Gazza.  Having read your recipe, and looked at ALL your beautiful photos (!) I was inspired to make it immediately.  I used cooking apples, didn't add any more sugar, just a good handful of raisins and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.  25cm springform tin.  Worked fine, although a smaller one would have been OK, but I wanted to feed quite a number of people. 
I was taking it to a bbq done by our local group of migrants, as their thank-you to all the volunteers who help them.  They'd all chipped in to buy two whole local mutton, prepared and marinaded the meat over two days, and spent the whole day today making an amazing bbq fire, and and cooking, cooking and cooking, including a huge pot of all the offal, intestines, and all!
Your cake was very much appreciated, Gazza!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 18:25:32 »
Brilliant and so pleased the odd thing I share is enjoyed by another member the foods sounded wonderful.

and Obelixx.mine is a 9 1/2 inch spring.......... :wave:

cheers

Gazza

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 20:16:22 »
Looks so good, will try to make one tomorrow with cooking apples from my tree at allotment, not so many this year, tree having a rest as so many last year.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 20:21:37 »
A good follow up to my first course can I have second helping?

Ps. Like you I like licking the spoon as well! :tongue3:

Must give  the recipe to my wife!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal