Author Topic: Bare soil  (Read 2586 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Bare soil
« on: August 22, 2018, 12:37:38 »
I read that a patch of bare soil is good for bees to nest it.  How do you keep soil bare without grass etc growing?
  In my new allotment I have to keep the path free of weeds so a great opportunity.
I have seen bmx paths like this with loads of bee and wasp tunnels but not a practical solution for me.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Bare soil
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 14:53:21 »
Lovely idea , but its best that they nest in someone elses bare soil. They will give you no respect for your endeavours, and wild bees take no prisoners. Bumble bees don't go looking for trouble, so an exception could be made. I limit my friendliness to ensuring good pollinator plants are available; borage, mint,fennel, leeks,mallow, thistles (by neglect!)
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 15:01:14 »
Lovely idea , but its best that they nest in someone elses bare soil. They will give you no respect for your endeavours, and wild bees take no prisoners. Bumble bees don't go looking for trouble, so an exception could be made. I limit my friendliness to ensuring good pollinator plants are available; borage, mint,fennel, leeks,mallow, thistles (by neglect!)

Why?  Solitary bees and wasps don't sting normally and the few that do are much less painful than social wasp stings and honey bees don't nest in the soil.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 07:21:01 »
Personally I do not like bare soil.  Nature has very little bare soil and soon fills it up.   I am not sure paths are good places for bees, how do you stop treading on their holes.   They seem to be able to  disappear through grass lawn.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal