Author Topic: Papa criolla  (Read 2313 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Papa criolla
« on: August 20, 2018, 15:50:52 »
Is a type of potato grown in South America.
It should be possible to grow as other types of potatoes shouldn't it?  And I think is legal to import (please correct me if not true).
I am not planning to grow any other veg so what can I do about rotation or lack of

Here is the little information I can find in English
https://www.cheekyfoods.com.au/yellow-potato-papa-criolla-papa-amarilla.html

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Papa criolla
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 18:42:52 »
Designer veg and with the right sort of hype most probable the next superfood. There are good English potatoes that have exactly the same characteristics. Why go to all the hard work of preparing the ground for a hit or miss crop.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 19:05:53 »
I love that they put this on the label of those potatoes
**Vegetarian & Gluten-free**
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 19:35:30 »
Designer veg and with the right sort of hype most probable the next superfood. There are good English potatoes that have exactly the same characteristics. Why go to all the hard work of preparing the ground for a hit or miss crop.
I would agree with you normally, but my wife is from South America and she would like them, saying that I thought I could get the potatoes from Colombia when she comes back but it is illegal!  So I don't think I can anyway.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 09:23:20 »
Maybe these would fit the bill, apparently bred in Scotland from peruvian stock.
See:
http://www.deeproot.co.uk/pbo/plantdetail.php?plantname=Solanum+phureja+6I927Mayan+Twilight6I927
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 14:56:42 »
Normal potatoes are Solanum Tuberosum, but these Papa Criolla are from a different species called Solanum Phureja.  I don't think you can get Papa Criolla over here, but you can get several varieties of S. Phureja over here which have the same full flavour and creamy yellow flesh.  The varieties are called Inca Bella and Mayan Gold.

I've grown Inca Bella for a couple of years and have to say that although absolutely delicious, they are higher maintenance plants than regular potatoes, they didn't like the drought this year at all, and they are very susceptible to slugs!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal