Author Topic: compost bins  (Read 1287 times)

ACE

• Hectare
compost bins
« on: August 20, 2018, 13:34:06 »
I have inherited a couple of compost bins with the new plot. Are they just gardeners toys or are they any good? I don't see them taking care of my weeds and cuttings having about a ton of the stuff I have just been digging out. I could just put the  kitchen veg waste in one of them but the other might just be taking up room. I have made a huge double compost container out of some extra large pallets I swopped for some courgettes on a building site down the road which makes more sense than these tiddley toys. As a rhubarb forcer it might be a better use for it.

Pescador

• Hectare
Re: compost bins
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 20:06:04 »
I use pallets to make bins of around 1 cubic meter. I used to have 3... 1 being filled, 1 maturing and 1 to use.
Household veg waste, lawn mowings and shredded paper, bulked up with spent hops and barley from the local brewery.
Works well for me!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 22:56:13 »
Do you mean the plastic dalek type bins?  In which case I'd say no ... they're too small to get hot enough to compost anything in a decent amount of time.  If you drill holes in the sides and fill with a compost/soil mix, they make great strawberry planters though!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 08:27:21 »
They work fine for me at home in the garden for food waste and garden clippings but, like you, down the plot I have pallets.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 12:13:10 »
I agree re the plastic dalek type bins, too small and cold to do much, they were retired after a couple of seasons. My OH built me side by side wooden bins with lids and removable fronts, nothing elegant and made out of the rough 'fencing' type planks that builders use for shuttering concrete slabs, but they work very well. Currently acquiring  pallets to supplement - can't have too much compost.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal