Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Blue pipe length

(1/3) > >>

elhuerto:
I have a raised bed with sprouts and spinach currently growing, the bed is 2.5 metres long and 1.25m wide. I have some temporary netting with canes but want something a bit better for the long term so am looking at blue piping with the mesh I have. I was hoping someone could give me an idea on how high the hoops should be so I can calculate the total length of piping required. I'm assuming 6 hoops set at 50cm intervals, and a height of 1 metre, does that sound about right?

Cheers!

Paulh:
How tall are your sprouts and also how wide do they grow? If the netting touches the leaves, the cabbage whites will lay eggs through it. You could make holes in the tubing and run canes through to keep the netting out (and give more rigidity to the structure).

I don't use the blue pipe but it seems to give you a semi-circle or smaller arc so you might have trouble getting it as tall as a metre given the width of the bed? Can you make a U-shape out of it?

Also, don't forget to allow for any part of the pipe that goes into the ground!

Sorry, that's all rather negative, but perhaps it will help you to a positive solution.

Plot 18:
I'd only use 3 hoops for that length of bed ;) Sprouts can grow a little taller than 1m, so allow extra length for each leg upright when you work out what you need. You'll need some wood battens that will fit inside the pipe to keep the pipe legs upright.

https://kgarden.wordpress.com/2009/05/04/brassica-netting-against-cabbage-white-butterfly/

elhuerto:
Many thanks, the plan was to put canes in the piping and put those into the ground and to add to stability. May also join the hoops at the top with some wood or canes, or see what I have lying around.

Much appreciated!

nodig:
I would cut the pipe into 4.15m lengths - so if you have a 25m roll then that's 6 lengths which would give 5 intervals at 500mm per interval.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version