Author Topic: Yugoslavian fingers  (Read 1660 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Yugoslavian fingers
« on: August 15, 2018, 15:19:25 »
Someone recommended these, so I am growing them.  They seem to produce a lot, but I find them bitter and rather unpleasant.  They are a very odd shape and I think if you put one in the middle of Salisbury you would start a panic.  Does anyone know what to do with them?

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: Yugoslavian fingers
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 21:58:06 »
A search shows that it is "very rare" but a dozen seed companies sell it ...

A cookery site states: "When very young, it can be harvested as a summer squash. When older, it can be used as an ornamental as well."

Perhaps it's rare for a reason!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 21:23:23 »
Oh Wow!  They look AMAZING!    Next season I've just GOT to tty growing these. Are they grown the same way as other gourds and squash  :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 09:06:32 »
They certainly look interesting, fiddly to prepare for consumption but very novel!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 17:28:07 »
At the moment I cannot work out why any one might want to grow them. 
They grow like weeds more or less like a courgettes though the leaves are slightly different.   

I was told they are delicious, I am wondering whether there is a different variety.   May be the person cannot taste bitter.

I once went to a lecture at the Royal Institute in London and volunteered for an experiment.  We were give a piece of blotting paper to taste.   Some people said ok.  But when it came to my turn the taste was terrible.   It seems that some people could taste the substance and some not.  About 33% couldn't taste it, but a few found it disgusting.  I believe it is Phenylthiocarbamide.   

I do not like coconut, most apples, pineapple, most pears, cabbage, onions,  garlic, leeks, cucumber,  lettuce, quite a lot of potatoes.  So may be other people will like the Yugoslavian fingers.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 22:01:19 »
Do you like Brussels Sprouts?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 07:38:41 »
That is quite a list of things you find too bitter, Digeroo.  I thought you preferred white cousa squash anyway?  Doesn't look like you will be growing these again.  I was browsing recently and noticed that RealSeeds do a Cousa variety. 

Brings back memories of that Bitrex stuff which you are supposed to put on kids' thumbs.  DD just licked it off and loved it!  It actually encouraged her thumb sucking!  Would have worked for you.  The bitter receptors on people's tongues must be very different.   :happy7:

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 08:27:16 »
That list of foods is pretty extensive, and includes a lot of foods we would eat.
Maybe you have a list of other foods that you do eat but it seems to rule out a lot.
Do you grow them for you OH to eat?

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 11:03:59 »
I  have tried real seeds cousa variety but it does not have the taste I like.  I bought 250 Clarita seeds from Stokes  in USA and they are living in my freezer.  I think they are 4 years old at least but still getting 100% germination.   I have five plants this year and most have three growing tips.  So I have enough seeds to last me 25 years.

I am very fussy about Brussel sprouts.  My favourite are Amarosa only now available from Holland.    I taste a leaf of sprouts before I buy them.  Hated them as a child, only like the newest F1 varieties.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 11:59:24 »
Strokes for folks, horses for courses - I like mustard generally, and love the taste of good old-fashioned zingy sprouts - the new ones are "bleh" to me - I think the breeding programme is mostly aimed at fussy kids, but if you like them they're all yours!

I suspect the health benefits are linked to the zing - might be why wild broccoli is better for you?

Blandness is unacceptable, but red sprouts have a subtle flavour - a big difference - have you tried them? Lidl sell them from around November, but Red Bull are easy and good.

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal