Author Topic: Fertiliser tea from Dandelions  (Read 2102 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Fertiliser tea from Dandelions
« on: August 14, 2018, 06:02:19 »

Digeroo

• Hectare
Re: Fertiliser tea from Dandelions
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 17:40:59 »
So I made my dandelion tea.  Smells not quite as bad a comfrey but only just,
Took about 3 weed to make a thick looking goo from a bucket full of assorted dandelions, not much root.    I diluted it.
Did not want to kill off a prized plant so fed it to several weeds:  a patch of nettles, an unknown weed and some death nettles.  A few days later, hey all look healthly.
Dandelions are supposed to be high in potassium,
The remaining dandelions I will put under the raspberries as a mulch.  Hopefully it much discourage the cleavers which are starting to germinate.
The are lots of dandelions around. the  paths between plots are covered in them as are the empty plots.  So I am so far pleased with this.   

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 18:12:00 »
I found this very comprehensive site which fully expounds the methodology of compost teas. See:
http://www.microbeorganics.com/#What_is_Compost_Tea_
I am not sure that your 'brew' equates to the described technique, in any manner. The suggestion that it smells better than rotting comfrey equates to a anaerobic decomposition, whereas the desirable outcome from compost; and therefore compost tea, is ajudged by an 'earthy' aroma- think forest floor.
The treatment of dandelions, especially roots, and most noxious weeds without seeds by percolation ,prior to composting is a technique which may achieve both aims.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 06:29:45 »
This article  is very long and I have not yet digested it, thanks for the link.  I have a copy of Teaming with Microbes on my Kindle.
I have bought some molasses and a solar pump but still have not got round to doing it.  Should have tried it this year, so much sun!!
I think that the fertiliser teas such as nettle and comfrey and  now dandelion work on a different principle.  Comfrey and dandelion have long roots and bring up nutrient from deep down.  Dandelions I believe work very well with the mycorrhizal fungi.  I have found blackcurrant cutting which have a nettle friend grow much faster.
I also give bucket fulls of dandelions to my rhubarb even with the root attached I never see them again.  Rhubarb love it seems to improve the flavour.
We are next to farm land so we get clouds of dandelion seeds twice a year.  So finding a use for the blighters is very welcome.   Some of the paths are more nettle than grass.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 07:32:47 »
Very pleased with the dandelion tea.  Plants seem to like it.  Plentiful supply of dandelions.   Bit of a double bonus because it means less to flower.  Though they blow in from the fields so not much stopping them.    The little rain we have had has managed to get them excited.   I am onto my fourth bucket full.   

Does seem to smell less when aerated, so I use a yoghurt pot to take out water and then pour it back from a little height and so introduce air into the mix.   

I am also mulching the rhubarb and fruit bushes with dandelion plants.

Rather more bending than picking nettles or comfrey.  Perhaps its good for my spine. Now got three buckets on the go: one of each.     

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 12:35:51 »
 Digerdoo  I,am feeling a little thick here , you mentioned you give buckets full of Dandylions to your raspberries is that whole plants,  the remains ( sludge ) from making the brew or the liquid brew ?

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 16:08:37 »
I give the sludge to the raspberries.  They do not rot down as quickly as comfrey and nettles,  I have fresh ones to rhubarb and currant bushes.   The rhubarb smothers them and the currant bushes can be hoed round. Too difficult with raspberries so worried the dandelions might grow again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal