Author Topic: Where have my brassicas gone  (Read 1605 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Where have my brassicas gone
« on: August 14, 2018, 05:48:05 »
I had a row of purple sprouting about 4 inches high
A row of broccoli about three inches high
Another row of broccoli about four inches
A row of spring cabbage nicely germinated and Russian kale seedlings
Several nasturtiums
They have all disappears.   No stems, nothing apart from the nasturtiums which look as is something burned them.
I looked for them under the nets and there was nothing.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Where have my brassicas gone
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 07:45:26 »
We have very bad flea beetle attacks at the moment.  A recently sown row of turnips under a cloche has just disappeared.  How they got in under the cloche I don't know.  They can decimate brassica seedlings in no time at all.  I am resowing , station sow and cover with a bottle over each station and hope that sorts the problem until the plants are big enough, but it is a lot of work.     

I would have thought at 4 inches they could withstand it, but maybe coupled with the drought, they cannot.

:BangHead:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:47:54 by galina »

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 10:20:31 »
Some larger broccoli plants are certainly  full of holes.   They were all covered in quite fine netting.   They haven't even left a few.   Its total devastation.   I will have so sow the Russian kale and spring greens again.  Thought they might get too hot under bottles.
Not had this problem before.
But no sign of any beetles.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:25:23 by Digeroo »

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 08:36:54 »
Flea beetle won't have cut them back that much, if back to the stems would suggest pigeons, if even stems gone ,could it be rabbits?. Are you left with the root? If all missing , then would suspect theft by 2 legged rat.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 08:54:32 »
Hi Ya, I have to agree with Ansellsfarmer. I left some brasses in a cold frame and I know the cabbage white got in and pigeons got in but the stalks were all that was left. I have had some stuff go missing from under my fleece and I know it's not any of those mentioned as they mesh is moved and it's not how I left it. So like your saying I suspect the two legged rat, I know we have one or two on site as others have complained as well. Make a note of how you leave the site next time even mark it somehow and you may see that if you do that so even the wind can't disturb it you may be surprised. Happy hunting

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 14:14:00 »
Flea beetle has been awful this year ... I've had whole trays of seedlings turned in to plant skeletons and they were covered in flea beetles.  If the slugs get what's left they could completely disappear.  I've lost nasturtiums, mustard, cabbage, mizuna etc.  Rather than the usual few holes, it's been like a plague.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 14:58:30 »
Everything gone.  But the nasturtiums the leaves have some back.   I had a nice row of broccoli covered in a fine net.  It more or less happened over night.  But the bigger brassicas (perennial kale) are certainly full of holes.  And I have a couple of Russian kale with mega amounts of holes, though the new young leaves are looking ok.
Never had a problem with flea beetles before.
But no beetles to be seen.  Not even any pollen beetles.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 22:09:47 »
I've never seen a flea beetle, but my entire patch of rocket is riddled with holes, hundreds of leaves ruined, I love rocket so much but even with my low standards I can't find anything edible. The brassicas have been skeletonised by the white butterfly caterpillars, they've gone on the compost heap. On the up side, I've had no slug trouble this summer....

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 00:18:11 »
Flea beetles are tiny.  They jump (fly?) away as soon as you get close.  They can be hard to see!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 09:56:57 »
Hi Ya, interesting about flea beetles. I have shot holes on my sweet potato plants in the greenhouse and wonder if flea beetle is the culprit from what I have read. I have never seen one so may try a yellow trap to catch them. I initially thought it was earwigs as I found one hiding in the eye protector on top of the canes. I will take piccy and post it later. I have some cabbage seedlings growing in there as well so perhaps I had better move them as well. There are nematodes apparently. I wonder of they are prolific due to the weather this year. 

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 10:58:50 »
Sadly my cavalo ner has been decimated. Do I have time to resow?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal