Author Topic: weather change effect  (Read 1853 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
weather change effect
« on: August 10, 2018, 22:25:35 »
Hi All,

Am aware that now we have gone from 2 months of no rain to a few days of non stop rain (not complainging) but am wondering what effect this will have on the plants in the garden?

Cam

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: weather change effect
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 22:32:30 »
Dashed out between the thunderstorms and picked tomatoes.  They had split with all the rain they grew, but their skins were already set and too small.  Not a problem, just an effect.  :wave:

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 23:02:08 »
i did wonder

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 09:12:17 »
Question?

What is this rain you are talking about?

As my memory is getting worse with age I can't remember when we had it last and I am beginning to forget what it looks like. :sunny:

In terms of plants,if these type of weather conditions continue; in the years to come our indigenous plants will have to re- evolve and meantime we will have to make do with plants that have originated from warmer climes! :wave:

The weather people have promised some this weekend,but then again they have been telling us that for a week or two now. One day they will get it right!  :icon_cheers:

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 19:17:24 »
I'm going to take off my developed squash... and hope to con them into flowering/setting some more, rather than risk any splitting.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 15:36:50 »
Some of my cabbages have split but I’ve never experienced squash splitting😳
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 17:37:33 »
Neither have I but this has been a very strange season!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 00:39:56 »
courgette still rotting on the plant will be the last time i try these in pots, we have lots of rain here and water butts full :)

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 13:36:47 »
Having to pick my runner beans twice a day! They are very happy. Courgettes doing well esp those growing in last year's compost bin!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 20:21:18 »
We have had a few showers a total of about 1 cm the past couple of day.  Certainly no days of non stop rain.  Below the surface any unwatered areas are still dry as a bone  Not sure how far that goes down but possibly a couple of feet.  Rhubarb is coping so it must have long roots.   I have some chard which is amazingly bonny.  Lost an apple tree.   
The small amount of rain seems to be enough to get the weeds germinating and the dandelions have put on a lot of green.
Next forecast rain, Thursday but wind from West so I will not hold my breathe, we do not get much rain from that direction the Welsh get most of it.
Been windy and sunny today so the soil will have dried out again.
Humidity high in the early hours, so many of the plant leaves with be soaking.   The rhubarb and courgettes seem to be able to attract surprisingly large amounts of dew.

davee65uk

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 15:15:28 »
Many fruit crops have come early here in The Midlands. Blackberries have almost finished when normally this happens first week in September, ditto with Damson now being ready. Berlotti beans have ghrown and dried again normally happening later in September.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal